Three Railroads in Four Days

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by mSummers, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Paul

Paul Member

Fantastic, love the shots inside!

2. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks guys!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

What great shots. ; Thanks for sharing. ; Love those old railroads.

4. ELinder

ELinder Member

Absolutely fabulous. Talk about making the most of a great opportunity!

Erich

5. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Michael, these are all fantastic!
    I love the b&w, its perfect!

6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

What an outing and you captured them like a pro.

7. goofy101

goofy101 Member

fantastic! I loved all of these shots

8. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks everyone!

9. mSummers

mSummers Member

Sorry for the delay in posting the last part. ; Work has been crazy... I have a 45,000sf office building nearing completion and the contractor has needed me on site almost every day the last 3 weeks which has caused me to work a lot of overtime to keep up with my paperwork.

The WMSR portion of the trip almost didn't happen. ; The locomotive suffered a major problem with the firebox grates the weekend before that almost canceled the rest of the season for 734. ; Fortunately, a few experts got together and came up with a temporary repair that will let them run the rest of the season and give them time to make a permanent repair over the winter. ; The repairs took until late Friday to complete, but we didn't know that the charter was going to happen until Saturday evening after they made a successful test run pulling their regular excursion train to Frostburg and back. ;

So, after the night shoot at the EBT, I had a 2hr drive which put me at my hotel near Cumberland at 1:30am. ; Needless to say, the alarm clock went off way too soon Monday morning. ; We had sunny conditions early Monday morning that gave way to clouds and then to a light rain late in the day. ; Tuesday started in a heavy fog and ended sunny.

Here's a shot of Helmstetter's curve featuring Mr. Helmstetter's Farmall C tractor from Monday morning:

[​IMG]

We did the Suicide Shot at Brush Tunnel again and this time I got the exposure correct. ; The engineer surprised us and opened the cylinder cocks as he entered the tunnel. ; Note the leaves being blown off the tunnel floor:

[​IMG]

Some fall color at Coal Tipple:

[​IMG]

Here's Helmstetter's Curve eastbound Tuesday morning in the fog:

[​IMG]

Eastbound at Log Load:

[​IMG]

Frostburg Approach:

[​IMG]

Westbound at Sunnyside:

[​IMG]

The light was great at Helmstetter's Tuesday afternoon, so we did several runbys before heading back to Cumberland. ; I have a good shot from the top of Cardiac Bill Price Hill, so I got one standard shot from the bottom of the hill and headed for the fence row while everyone else climbed to the top: ;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were almost out of crew time, so we ran back to Cumberland and had just enough time for a runby in the station:

[​IMG]

Overall, even though the weather conditions on the WMSR weren't great it was an awesome weekend and I'm really happy with the photos I got at all three railroads.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014