TradNation at Canada

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tim, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Some videos are starting to surface of the TradNation show which replaced the Lumberjacks(!) at the Old Mill Stage in the Canada Pavilion in Epcot. My first impression is the show seems kind of... dry... but it is nice to have music back on the stage instead of the chainsaws. I have attached a YouTube video that I found online so you can check it out. What do you think? Will it last the initial 6 month window that new acts are apparently being held to?

2. I agree with you that this group lacks "zip". I think the appeal is very narrow, at least from the videos I've seen. I'm thinking that this might be a "1 listen to it" type of entertainment, as in after 1 listen to it you realize that it's not going to hold you or keep you coming back so you move on.

I think that this type of music is really focused on a narrow band and the appeal will be limited and not catchy. I think in this country we embrace rock and roll and other forms of music because they capture our attention and fill an emotional need. This type of music is not connecting with me.

It's nice that this band represents it's portion of Canadian Music tradition. We were spoiled by a really great band (Off Kilter) that is the proverbial "tough act to follow". I keep waiting for Disney to wise up and give the people what they want but with the way things are going it seems that won't be happening under the current (lack of) leadership. I think somebody higher up is trying too hard to follow some new stupid template about park entertainment and they are bringing in the bottom of the barrel salary wise to cut costs and meet some type of mandate for "Authenticity".

It really sucks when something that you really enjoyed is removed and not replaced at all or is replaced with something that is not nearly as appealing. From what I'm seeing, a complete moron is in charge of the parks and is making all of these stupid decisions.

So this band to me is yet another in a long line of misses.

Bummer eh?

~Joanie

3. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

For a minute there I thought that was the same video that I posted on MLK day on the New Band in Canada thread. But it's not, so vive la différence as they might say in Quebec.

@Joanie Eddis-Koch, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. I personally like this kind of music and I'm glad to see them there, along with the small groups they've brought in to the UK. Granted, I won't be looking for them on my schedule the first thing when I walk into Epcot (like I did with Off Kilter), but I'm sure I'll stop and see them more than once.

Picking one band to represent the whole country of Canada is an impossible task. WIth the new philosophy of short-term musician contracts, it's likely they'll be gone before your next trip. The second MoRockin' replacement band is already gone, and I never got the chance to see them.

But we all have to agree that they beat the heck out of chainsaws.

mSummers likes this.