Trucking to North Dakota

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Scottwdw, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

My daughter got herself a job in North Dakota. ; My other daughter is coming home from WDW after spending a semester in the College Program. ; Flipped a coin and I get to drive my daughter to North Dakota. ; In January. ; With average temperatures in the single digits. ; Wind chills in the -20 F or lower range. ; Hey, think I got the better deal!

Why...because nearby her place of employment is the Theodore Roosevelt National Park which is home to bison, pronghorns, deer, wild horses and prairie dog colonies. ; Time to get out my winter photography clothing, pack up the 80-400VR lens and plastic bags to cover the camera gear when done for the day. ; I am hoping to have a day in the park to shoot depending on how long it takes to get my daughter settled into her apartment, set up her cable tv and internet and find her a car.

I'll use this thread to post photos and experiences along the way. ; I will be twitting using my @sthomasphotos account and using the Wordpress iPhone app to post to my blog (see link below) during the trip. ; Leaving early New Year's Day with stops in Chicago and Minneapolis before arriving in Dickinson, North Dakota sometime on the 3rd depending on weather and such.

North Dakota should be beautiful this time of year, all that snow...and wind...and cold...and exciting photographic opportunities!

2. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

thats exciting Scott!

3. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Wow- awesome! ; Looking forward to the pictures!

4. Fishphotos

Fishphotos Member

We camped in Theodore Roosevelt National Park last year as part of our NP road trip. ; One morning we came upon a herd of wild horses... there are no words to describe the experience. ; Here are a couple of images.

It is a great park... we had buffalo pass right by our tent the first night there! ; Crazy!

janet

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

5. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Great photo's Fish.

Scott I can't wait to see and read all about the trip. ; Sounds like a fun time.

6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I hope I get to see some of those wild horses with a wintery background. ; Thanks for the peak at TRNP, Janet! ; Oh, I won't be camping. LOL

I posted this photo on my blog this week. ; My daughter in her new coat which is rated down to -40 below zero F.

[​IMG]

I got my down coat ready to go. Thermals and woolen socks along with a host of clothing for layering. Plenty of food and drink for the ride out. ; Now, to go get the truck and load it up.

Camera gear packed. Had to trim down to one backpack and leave the Think Tank bag at home. ; Not sure what the carry on rule will be by the time I fly home on the 9th. ; Thought it prudent to only have one when I do. ; I think TSA is nuts by the way. ; The guy didn't even have a carry on! ; :mad:

7. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

great colors in all of the photos. ; fishy, those are awesome.

8. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Can't wait to see the pics & read the blog. Have fun.

9. PolynesianMedic

Scott that is a great shot of your daughter. ; Looks like she will be as warm as she can be when she needs it.

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Had a close encounter today with some buffalo at the Theodore Roosevelt National Park. For more about my day, visit my blog (use link in my signature).

[​IMG]
    Nikon D70/80-400VR, 1/250s, f/8, ISO 200, EV +0.3, 400mm focal length

Here's an iPhone shot of the entire herd.
    [​IMG]

11. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

North Dakota Badlands vista taken at a scenic overlook in the TRNP. ; The day was cold (-10 for the high from a -25 start (all degrees F)) with wind chills in the -20 to -40 range. ; Made for a beautiful winter blue sky.

[​IMG]
    Nikon D70/80-400VR, 1/125s, f/11, ISO 200, EV +1.0, 80mm focal length

12. PolynesianMedic

Great shots Scott! ; Thanks for sharing, and I can't wait to go read your adventures.

13. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Great photos.
    I love the close up.

Congratulations on taking such a great oppurtunity to take pictures

14. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Back home and here's a couple more.

I took this from the parking lot of the visitor center which is just inside the park's boundaries.

[​IMG]
    Nikon D70/18-200VR, 1/100s, f/16, ISO 200, EV +0.7, 55mm focal length

A lone Elk on top of a badlands butte.

[​IMG]
    Nikon D70/80-400VR, 1/800s, f/5.6, ISO 200, EV +1.0, 400mm focal length

15. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

More American Bison photos.

Check out the focal length I used here. ; It will give you an idea of how close they came to the car I was using to photograph from. ; None of the photos I've posted have been cropped.

[​IMG]
    Nikon D70/80-400VR, 1/640s, f/5.6, ISO 200, EV +0.3, 195mm focal length

[​IMG]
    Nikon D70/80-400VR, 1/320s, f/5.6, ISO 200, EV +0.3, 400mm focal length

Another snow muzzled closeup.

[​IMG]
    Nikon D70/80-400VR, 1/200s, f/8, ISO 200, EV +0.7, 230mm focal length

16. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

nicely done, scott.

17. Fishphotos

Fishphotos Member

Same place... warmer buffalo!

18. Fishphotos

Fishphotos Member

Warmer...

19. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Yes, yours are much warmer. ; :) ; I didn't see any wild horses either. ; I know I'll be back to visit my daughter so I'll see if I can find them then.

[​IMG]

Here's a close up of the big male (seen on the far left in the herd photo above). ; He was at least 2 hands taller than the rest of them.

[​IMG]

Both of these photos have been cropped for display.

20. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Here's another landscape. ; I wrote about these rock formations on my blog today. ; If you are interested in learning more, hit the link in my signature. ; :)

[​IMG]