types of cf cards used by members

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by gary, Mar 10, 2007.

?

which type you own the most of

1. other

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. delkin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ridata

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. transcend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. kingston

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. lexar

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. sandisk

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. gary

gary Member

since card prices are expected to drop so much for a few months, i'm looking to add to my set, i'm curious what everyone buys and why?, ii started with ibm microdrives, went to sandisk cf, then lately to mostly kingston, with some sandisk when they are on really good sale, such as black friday, i may try out some transcend, lot of satisfied users posting to the net. 4gb as little as $39.95 from newegg.com, amazon prices also dropping it looks like
    i've bought mostly based on price, had 1 bad card, which zipzoomfly promptly replaced, so i usually shop cost based
    thanks in advance for any votes and opinions, a well informed consumer is a happy consumer
    gary

2. HW

HW Member

I buy whatever is on sale as long as it is name brand. Picked up 2 - 2 gig sandisk ultraII SD at BB this week for 39 each.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I still have my D30's 1GB microdrive! Slow as !!!!

Anyway, right now I've got a Kingston 1GB in my S1IS, and I've got:

Sandisk Ultra II 1GB & 2GB
    Sandisk Extreme III 2 GB
    Lexar PlatinumII 2GB
    Lexar Prof 133x 4GB

Honestly the speed doesn't matter with the prosumer dSLRs as much with the name brands, except I see Sandisk has some 4GB that have a switch which may slow it down.

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I have always used SanDisk Ultra II cf's in my D70 and never had a problem. Currently have two 1GB but have on order a 2GB from Amazon as well.

5. WillCAD

WillCAD Member

My first CF cards were Crucial (yes, same brand as the high-quality PC memory). There were a pair of 128mb and I have been using them for about 5 years.

When I got my Canon Digital Rebel, I bought a pair of PNY 512mb cards when I found them on sale.

Later, I added a pair of Sandisk Ultra II 512mb cards, just so I'd have some extras.

These days the consensus is that Sandisk Ultra II and Ultra III are the best on the market. But be careful - eBay and various online sellers are FLOODED with counterfeit Sandisk Ultra II cards.

6. idarknight

idarknight Member

I've got a 1GB Lexar 80X Pro, a 2GB Extreme III and a 2GB Ultra II. My first Ultra II was bad - genuine Sandisk - but that was replaced pretty quick.

7. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Do Sony people count? ;) For my DSC-H5, I have mostly Sony MS Pro Duo HS cards (one 1GB, two 512MB, many smaller ones)...but also have one 1GB Sandisk Extreme III MS Pro Duo. Haven't noticed anything better or worse between the Sony ones and the Sandisk - both equally reliable, and equally fast. I was a bit worried with my first Sandisk purchase...but I've probably rotated 7,000 photos or so on and off the card without incident, so it seems to be fine.

8. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

Ive been using 1 and 2 GB Sandisk Ultra II CF cards with my Rebel XT for about 1 year now - no problems at all. Write speed is blazing compared to some old Kingston I have.