Uh oh!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by mainstreet1997, Feb 21, 2009.

1. I have been meaning to post this since I got back but real life got in the way. Our first day at Disney my memory card crashed! I was shooting and then all of the sudden it just said somethign about an error and the screen went black. I tried everything - turning the camera off and on, reloading the card. Nothing. One time, I got a "no images" message. Which is not true because I had been taking pics all morning with it. Luckily the trip had just gotten started and I dumped my card every night so I didnt lose too many important pics (except for lunch at San Angel Inn). Do you guys think theres a way to get my pics back or are they gone for good? And I had just read something about a memory card has only so many shots in it....maybe I hit my limit :(

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

google image recovery software... there are some free ones that might be able to help you.
    this type of thing DOES exist.

DON'T USE THE CARD OR REFORMAT IT UNTIL YOU TRY TO RECOVER.
    reformatting might be ok, but if you overwrite the data with new data, you be outta luck.

3. Heh. I dont think thast a problem Tim. I turn the camera on and the screen goes black!

4. goofy101

goofy101 Member

5. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

From what I've heard on some technology podcasts, if you have a problem with your SD or CF memory cards even if you are successful in recovering the data, don't use them again

6. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I think this is one of the advantages of the "professional" Lexar and Sandisk cards...they include free image recovery software. If you don't have it, I know you can buy it or maybe even download it for free.

7. Tim

8. gary

gary Member

even if you recover the data, dump that memory card, cards are so cheap now, 8gb cards are less then $40

9. mSummers

mSummers Member

I've had a good success rate with the lexar software. Definitely get rid of the card after you recover the photos.

10. Tim

11. Thanks Tim, will have to check these out but on another computer since Im on a Mac.