Ultra LUXi-L Compatibility

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by RedOctober25, Jan 12, 2010.

1. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

In regards to Velbon Tipods...
    I have the Ultra Luxi-L and just got the Manfrotto Pistol Grip (222 Action) with the bushings. ; However, the base on the Pistol grip is much larger than the attaching screw on the center column of the UL-L (and it looks likes it needs the larger base for a bit of support). ; What are my options here? ; Does Velbon make a Center Column Plate that is larger (could not find one on their website)? ; Do I need to buy another Center Column that comes with a larger Base Plate? ; If I get another Center Column, are the sizes universal (looked at the manufacturers website and did not see anything in regards to dimensions of center column). ; Any information everyone can give would be appreciated as I would have to order any parts within the next two weeks for my upcoming trip.

2. Cory_Disbrow

Cory_Disbrow Member

I have the Luxi L, and the Manfrotto 322RC2 pistol grip head. I had to buy an adapter from B&H to get it to fit. But once I got it, the head fit like a glove on the legs and gave me no trouble.

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Like Cory said, you'll need a bushing adapter for the head to fit; as to the base of the Manfrotto being larger than the plate, I wouldn't worry about it so long as it's screwed in tight.

You may be able to find the adapter at a local photo store for the same price as online: without shipping. ; No need for the Monster/Gitzo[nb]Joke. ; As far as I know, Monster does not make photo gear.[/nb] bushing adapter.

4. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I did buy the 3/8" to 1/4" bushing. ; The problem is that it seems that the Center Column is permanently attached to the Ball Head that came on the Tripod when purchased. ; Do I just need to force this apart?

5. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

They shouldn't be permanently attached....unless Velbon's changed something.

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Remove the center column by unscrewing from underneath. ; There is a large Philips screw that holds the pan head to the center bolt. ;

7. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

My Gosh that was in there tight. ; I ended up stripping 2 screwdriver heads trying to loosen up the screw. ; But finally it popped open (with the use the heavy duty phillips and a pliers). ; But the new Pistol grip is on the Tripod!!!!