Underwater Camera Purchase Suggestions

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by WDWFigment, Mar 8, 2010.

1. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Another equipment purchase dilemma. ; For our honeymoon, Sarah and I will be staying at the BoardWalk Villas and Old Key West. ; While we won’t be going to the water parks that trip (darnit!), we will be spending time in the pools, and I would like to have a waterproof camera. ; More importantly, we are considering a Disney Cruise in early 2011, and I know we will definitely want an underwater camera for that trip.

First, Sarah and I are both PADI licensed, and so for the DCL trip, I would like to have a camera that is capable of going to Scuba-depths. ; However, given health issues, Sarah might (probably) won’t let me go scuba diving…so maybe this isn’t such an important consideration after-all.

Second, I would prefer a camera that has full manual control.

Third, I would prefer a camera that can shoot RAW.

Fourth, megapixels, zoom, and other features are not that important.

Finally, cost-effectiveness is a big thing. ; Purchasing a housing for our D40 or D90 is not a viable suggestion. ; I am willing to spend around $100-450, but if I spend the upper end of the spectrum, I want a feature-laden setup.

Here is what I’m thinking thus far: ; a lower end camera ($180-300) is going to mean a P&S that doesn’t shoot RAW, doesn’t have manual controls, but will be compact and have reasonably effective best shot modes. ; With $300-450, I might be able to get a used Canon G9 and its housing (Canon had a special on the housings for $76 last Memorial Day and I’m kicking myself that I didn’t buy one then!), but given its age, I’m wondering if that’s a wise idea.

So what would you do? ; Are there some cheap underwater compacts that offer manual options and/or RAW at a relatively low price (I searched and couldn’t seem to find any)? ; I’m willing to sacrifice depth for those features, as I likely won’t be able to take it more than 15’ down, anyway.

2. BorisMD

BorisMD Member

That's a pretty tall order.

Here's what I think:

1) If you're not going to use the SCUBA route, you will be restricted to snorkeling and that will limit your ability to take your time and fiddle with manual settings.

2) As you probably know, the light falloff under water is pretty rapid -- that necessitates some pretty sophisticated flash for any decent shots at any depth beyond probably 5-10 feet.

3) So, if you just want some decent shallow water shots, I'd bet you could do pretty well with a P & S -- my son has some cheap Olympus that is rated for 10 feet and it actually does a pretty decent job -- no manual anything, though.

On the other hand, a G9 with housing would give you great flexibility and RAW -- allowing better post processing. ; I don't think it's too "old". ; If you find one in decent shape on CL, it should be quite serviceable for your underwater needs.

Have fun,

Boris

3. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

^Our primary use for the camera won't necessarily be underwater, but to take to locations where the DSLR just won't be allowed to visit, period (so we'd use it on the beach at Typhoon Lagoon, not just in the wave pool). ; For things like that, that aren't necessarily underwater, I think manual settings and RAW will come in handy.

4. BorisMD

BorisMD Member

Tom,

A quick glance at the Canon housing looks like it does not allow you to access control dials. ; From what little I know of underwater housings, it's not advisable to access the camera frequently in a wet environment for fear of introducing water into the housing.

The Ikelite housing does look like it allows control access, but the housing costs more than the camera.

I'm going to say go with one of the newer bomb proof P & S models and let it's limitations challenge you. ; If you are shooting in a water park, presumably the day will be bright and sunny, and as such, you can take full advantage of the scene modes. ; Your results will likely be limited more by the glass on the front of the camera than by the electronics.

Boris

5. Chris B

Chris B Member

I do quite a bit of diving and was frustrated with a variety of the typical underwater cameras. ; After doing a bit of investigation and research I finally decided on the SeaLife DC800. ; The DC1000 has since come out. ; Great camera. ; The housing is very easy to use and the cost is less than $1000 including the flash. ;

I would highly recommend the flash. ; I thought I could get by without the flash for a few trips but finally jumped in and got the flash. ; Made all the difference at depth and to bring out the colors at 25ft or greater. ;

Here is a link to photos that I have taken with the DC800. ; I have not taken any of these images through Photoshop so they are right out of the camera.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44911328@N03/sets/72157623581654138/

Please let me know if you have any questions. ; Love to help you out.

6. mSummers

mSummers Member

If it were me, I would get the G9 with the housing since it would give you a better all purpose camera that you can waterproof. ; Just keep in mind that most housings use o-rings which will need to be replaced every couple of years

7. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

^That is another good point; whatever I get is not just an underwater camera. ; It would also function as a nice all-purpose carry-anywhere camera. ; In that regard, the G9 is definitely very appealing.

8. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Tom, Tim has the G10, I believe and the waterproof housing, and I believe that it has all of the options that you are looking for. ; He has posted photo's on the site from his trip to Typhoon Lagoon here on the site. ; I do think though that I had read that the G10 was being replaced with the G11, but I can't say for sure.

9. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I'm looking at getting a Canon G11 (the current model in the G series) for myself. ; I've downloaded the manual and found that the camera has an underwater white balance setting. ; The part number of Canon's underwater housing is WP-DC34, although I'm sure you can get one from someone else.

I can confirm that Tim has an underwater housing for his G10. ; He had it at the rainy Point & Shoot meet at Pixelmania. ; It has a whole a bunch of buttons on it so you have access to all of the controls on the camera.

My sister has some sort of waterproof camera that she uses on her annual trip to the Dominican Republic to go snorkeling with humpback whales. ; I'll ask her about it later this week.

Finally, where is FishPhotos when we need her?