Upgrade now or later?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by mSummers, Oct 3, 2008.

1. mSummers

mSummers Member

I'm having trouble deciding when to upgrade to a full frame body and I'd like to hear your opinions on a couple of things. Before the D700 came out, I was planning on waiting for the next flagship model from Nikon to be released and then pick up the D3 for a good price and sell my D2Xs to help cover the cost of the upgrade. Now that the D700 has been released, and when combined with the battery grip is essentially a D3 but much cheaper, I can't justify the extra cost of the D3. So, I'm going to go with the D700

The question then becomes when to upgrade. Do I upgrade now or wait until sometime next summer? Obviously I'm going to get a better price for my D2Xs now than I will next summer, and I'll be able to buy the D700 at a better price next summer than I will now. So, which one of those two do you think will fall in price/value more between next summer?

As a side note, I bought my lenses with an upgrade to full frame in mind, so they're not a factor in the equation. The only DX lens I have is the 12-24mm which I plan to keep on my D70s permanently after I upgrade to full frame, so I'll also need to get the 14-24mm to replace it, but I always planned on that.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I'll bet the D700 will come down more than the used D2 market will by then. The D700 is the most expensive in it's class (non-integrated grip 35mm FF) with the lowest pixel count. It has to come down to at least 5DMk2 price when it arrives in the stores. Also, by PMA/WPPI next year the next models will be out (including a redo of the Edsel I'm sure....)

3. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks for the advice Roger. I was thinking along the same lines but wanted to confirm my thoughts.