Variable neutral density filters for Nikkor S series mirrorless cameras

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Joanie Eddis-Koch, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Does anyone have any recommendations for variable neutral density filters?

I need to get a new neutral density filter for my Nikkor S series lens. The thread diameter on the 24 to 70mm is 82.

I am considering the B+W XS-Pro Digital ND Vario MRC Nano.

However, I am concerned about vignetting at wide angles. I find that I use the ND filter the most for shooting fireworks and I always seem to be at 24 mm or wider depending upon the lens I use.

Since I'm shooting at night, vignetting doesn't really seem to be that much of a problem but I really want to start using an ND filter during the day and I have a feeling it might become an issue then.

I think @mSummers switch to a square format neutral density filter system. Is that correct? I seem to remember having a conversation with you about that and I was wondering if you had the time to weigh in with recommendations on neutral density filters for me.

As always, any recommendations are appreciated.

~Joanie

2. mSummers

mSummers Member

Correct, I switched to the Lee filter system a couple of years ago. After having continuous issues with fungus growing between the two halves of the variable neutral density filters that I had previously, I decided to never use variable ND’s ever again.

Joanie Eddis-Koch likes this.
  3. gary

gary Member

whatever way you go, get the largest thread size you own, get step up rings for the other lenses

Joanie Eddis-Koch and mSummers like this.
  4. mSummers

mSummers Member

Unless you go with the Lee system and then get the adapter rings for all the lenses you own.

Joanie Eddis-Koch likes this.