VR

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by HW, Oct 4, 2011.

1. HW

HW Member

ok I got a new Nikon lens that has VRII and I understand the basic concept of VR but am trying to figure out what is the difference between active and normal VR and when to use them. any input is appreciated. I will be using a monopod and handholding on occasion as I suck at birds in flight on a tripod and the tripod for this lens is not in the near future as this purchase really emptied the wallet
    oh I guess telling what lens would help. the 200-400 f4 VRII

2. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I took a look at the manual (highly recommended) and it says that Active VR is recommended when shooting from a moving vehicle. ; This is what the manual for my VR I lenses also says. ; I would leave it on normal for most shots, especially when panning. ; It appears that the main difference between normal and active mode is that normal recognizes panning motions, whereas active tries to counteract all motion.

It also says to use VR when on a tripod or monopod. ; For short, daytime exposures, this makes sense. ; However, for long tripod-mounted exposures, you definitely want to turn VR off.

Of course, you could always get a gyro stabilizer and do away with the monopod. :)

Hope this helps.

3. HW

HW Member

thanks. I dont have the manual yet as the lens comes tomorrow. I borrowed a friends to try out and of course was blown away by it. It gets confusing as I was always told turn VR off for birds in flight or on a tripod but now am hearing leave it on normal. I guess VRII changed things.

4. ELinder

ELinder Member

First off congrats on the lens. WRT VR, what he said. :) A lot of old school technique I had read said to turn off the VR on a tripod, but with something with that kind of reach, it helps a lot. You'll see it the first time you have it mounted up and everything tightened down. Looking thru the camera at 400mm it'll be obvious how much the VR helps as you turn the switch on and off. As for long exposures, that's a good question, as I never did try any before I sold the 300mm.

Erich

5. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Support.nikonusa.com is your source for Nikon manuals, software, firmware and other useful information. ; I visit there at least once per month.

And you're right, VR II seems to have changed things. ; I may have to buy a new lens and try it out. :)

6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

As for tripods, that is lens dependent. ; Make sure to look it up in the manual. ; My 70-200VR states to leave VR on even on a tripod. ; I know the longer lenses say that same thing. For monopods, leave VR in normal mode.

When riding the African Safari jeeps at AK, use Active VR. ; ;D

7. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Tripods and VR on? ; If you are told to turn it off, turn it off. ; Yep, know that one!

8. HW

HW Member

I asked a few people that have Nikon lens with VR this morning at Forsythe and they all same the same . turn it on even with a tripod
    anyway here is my first pic taken with it.
    hand held.what a way to break it in.

Attached Files:

9. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Very nice shot, juvenile bald eagle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. HW

HW Member

YEPPERS a juvenile. they don't get the white head till 5 years old

11. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Seeing that makes me want to get down there much more often! ; I was there on Friday with my daughter, but no eagles (or birds of prey for that matter!)

12. HW

HW Member

I saw 3 harrier hawks playing tag today but too far away for a shot. a peregrine sits on a sign close to the road sometimes and of course the eagle but sometimes you see nada. it happens

13. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Yep, plus you have the jinx that I bring! ; LOL! ; We saw plenty of egrets, terns and an occational blue heron. ; But we had fun!

14. HW

HW Member

a lot of times that is all I see John but every now and then something great appears

Attached Files:

15. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Love that one Howie! ; Especially with the blue sky backdrop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. mSummers

mSummers Member

Congrats on the new lens Howie! ; Nice shots too.

As others have stated, the Normal setting is for panning or shooting static objects. ; Active is for shooting fast moving objects that you're trying to freeze or when shooting from a moving vehicle. ; I have always been told to turn VR off when shooting from a tripod unless I'm panning. ; However, that rule of thumb may no longer apply because they may have fixed the tendency for the VR to jump and create soft images while using a tripod when they released VRII, but I haven't tried it to find out.

17. HW

HW Member

thanks for the input Michael. I need to read the book and just experiment some. I have only shot handheld so far but after a few minutes my arm gets tired holding the lens. I have a monopod which is what I will most likely use for a long time as the tripods to hold this beast are not cheap as you know. I know one thing. this is one amazing piece of glass. very highly rated

18. HW

HW Member

thanks John

19. gary

gary Member

howie, your bird skills are getting really strong, tim says you don't like to fly, but i'm adding a link to florida bird festivals, the st augustine one in april each year is a combined bird/photo fest, they always have a full pager in outdoor photographer, enough positive net feedback to have become a possible for me some year.

http://nbbd.com/ecotourism/festivals.html

20. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Or break your arm! ; :)