Wacom Tablets

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by mousefan, Jan 5, 2008.

1. mousefan

mousefan Member

I was just wondering if anyone out there has used any of the Wacom tablets? Specifically the Wacom Bamboo Fun or the Wacom Intuos3. There is a pretty big price difference and I was curious to know if anyone had a preference.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i have the smallest wacom they make, about $99. it's pretty cool but i dont use it all that much.

3. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I've got a Wacom Graphire 4...like Tim, I don't use it a bunch...but it comes in handy when I'm going any graphic sketching or post-processing on photos that requires slightly better aim and control of fine lines or pixel-by-pixel editing that a mouse is not as easy for. I also use it for digital signatures on documents. It's certainly a neat toy - the mouse just falls to hand so familiarly that I don't use it regularly for any other purpose - just specific tasks.

4. Dan

Dan Member

I had an old one, it communicated through the serial port and took power from a PS2 connector. Ah, the classics.

I liked the IDEA of it, but the truth was that it didn't quite feel precise enough. I occasionally used it, but although you'd think that you could get more precision with a device like that I never felt I had quite the control that I do with a mouse. I actually preferred using it for larger actions, like masking off large areas. Do take into account that I was comparing an old tablet with a new, high end, high resolution gaming mouse. I suspect the old Wacom tech just couldn't keep up with a laser mouse.

In any case, my new system lacks a serial OR parallel port (well, the motherboard has a serial port connector, but I need some sort of external bracket to connect to it) so I can't use it, even if I got a serial adapter I'd still need a way to get power to the PS2 tap..

I don't know if newer models would feel any more precise or not. The one unique thing that it provided was the pressure sensitivity, and how I could tie that to any brush characteristic in Photoshop that I wished. Still I was only barely able to use that, my problem is that I REALLY can't draw or paint or anything. So all the fancier brush effects were largely irrelevant to me. I could use the pressure level to adjust the strength of an effect like dodge or burn, but in the end I generally found that I preferred the mouse.

One other unique way in that it was useful (for me, anyway) is that I'm left handed. But of course I use the mouse with my right hand. I'm sort of a confused mess with it comes to handedness, I throw right, can shoot either, write left.. but what I'm getting at is that I can use the mouse with my right hand quite well, but it feels a bit more natural to use the tablet when doing drawing type things, even if it's just drawing a selection around a shape. Not exactly that I do better, but it feels better, and there's something to be said for comfort when doing a complex mask.

Unless you're an advanced graphic artist the word is that Intuos is overkill. Believe me, I desire them as well, especially how it can sense stylus angle and use that accordingly (if I'm remembering correctly). But I've heard that they're just not worth the money if you're just starting out and are uncertain. And this is coming from a more drawing and digital panting related community (I can't draw at all, but I can sure enjoy what other people can produce, I'm strictly a lurker in that world). They say the Graphire will do just fine to start. I specify that because that sort of application should make better use of the more advanced features, so if they don't need it then a photographer shouldn't either.

I know nothing of the Bamboo, except that I've seen it around as well. I'm uncertain where it fits in with the Graphire in their product line. The Wacom website makes it look like Bamboo is the Graphire replacement (although they still list a Bluetooth wireless Graphire), only more strongly directed towards "the masses".

5. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

I think my husband has the Wacom Graphire (the cheaper one), but for any kind of graphic design work it's a thousand times better than using a mouse. It's like painting with a brush as opposed to a brick.

6. mousefan

mousefan Member

Thanks everyone for your input. My Bamboo Fun should arrive this week hopefully with my Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium.

Next question... Aperture or Lightroom?