Washington, DC

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Scottwdw, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

The memorial was officially opened last Fall, John. ; It was a hard one to photograph in the bright Sun. ; Would like to go back in the evening next time.

2. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks, Jeff! ; More to come after I get back home.

3. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

You are going to have a ball there, Gary. ; I will be posting a review of a way to stabilize your camera without a tripod. ; Though it's kind of iffy how legal it is. ; Not that it ever stopped us! ; ;D

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Those HMs show up everywhere! ; Thanks for your comments, Doc!

5. HW

HW Member

great stuff Scott

6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Here's another from the Stephen F Udvar-Hazy Center. ; This is the first view you get upon entering and passing through security.

[​IMG]

Got back home earlier today and will be posting more as I edit and process the keepers. ; Until then, here are a few more from DC:

Washington Monument
    [​IMG]

Vietnam War Memorial
    [​IMG]

Capitol Dome
    [​IMG]

The Great Hall inside the Library of Congress. Used a bean bag to steady the camera as no tripods are allowed in any of the buildings and museums.
    [​IMG]

7. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Wow Scott! ; You save the best for last! ; all these shot are outstanding! ; Great work, looks like you had a great trip!

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks so much, John! ; It was a great trip. ; I hope to find some more gems as I really start to look at the rest of the images.

9. HW

HW Member

that HDR with the SR-71 is awesome Scott.

a little trivia.
    We can thank the Peregrine Falcon for the cones on the front of the engines. Peregrines have them in their nostrils to keep the air flowing into the nostrils instead of around them so they can breath at their incredible speed and aircraft engineers got the idea from them

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Excellent fact, Howie, and not surprising since birds have been flying a lot longer than Man. ; :)

11. Paul

Paul Member

Nice stuff Scott, really like the SR-71 shot.

12. ELinder

ELinder Member

Ooo, the SR-71 is at the top of my favorite a/c list. Neat about the Peregrine falcon nostril, I've never heard that before!

The inlet spikes on the SR are very unique, in that they actually help produce thrust at speeds above Mach 1. Conventional jet engines cannot handle air moving too fast, so at aircraft speeds approaching or above Mach 1 the air coming into the inlet has to be slowed down. Because of the large speed range of the SR-71, those spikes actually move up to 3 feet fore and aft. The cones are computer controlled to manage the shock wave of the air around and within the inlet. At top speed, the management of that air actually produces more thrust than the engine itself, making it function more like a ramjet than a turbojet.

Erich

13. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

In trying to re-shoot a photo I took 4 years before, I had to re-think the composition and waiting for blue hour added more impact.

[​IMG]
    Blue Hour on the Mall by Scottwdw

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  14. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

In many ways, I wish NASA had continued developing this kind of technology. ; I would rather have planes like the SR-71 going to Near Earth Orbit than having expensive rocket technology with little reusable components. ; Even the shuttle was way too expensive to operate.

15. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Here's a closeup of the Blackbird.

[​IMG]

16. HW

HW Member

Scott the last 3 are great

17. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

National World War II Memorial facing the Pacific Theater.

[​IMG]

18. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

VERY nice Scott!

19. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks, John.

This is the only reflection photo I got last week. ; It was too windy otherwise. ; This was a thin layer of moving water behind the WWII memorial an even it had "waves" on it.

[​IMG]

20. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Still a pretty cool reflection. ; Thanks for sharing all these!