WDW and policy towards tripod use

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by Doublevision, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Doublevision

Doublevision Member

Hello everyone! ; This is my first post to the "Magic in Pixels Disney Photo Forum" and it is a question. ; I am planning a trip to Epcot Center in early February and I need to know if I can bring my tripod. ; According to the official WDW website, tripod stands or monopod stands that cannot fit inside a standard backpack are forbidden. ; This could be a problem for me because I use a relatively large carbon fiber tripod that can't fit inside a backpack...If I try to bring this tripod into the park, will I be stopped by security at the entrance? ; If there are any CMs that read this board, I would definitely appreciate your advice on Disney's policies towards tripods and photographers in general. ; I really want to get some pictures of the Illuminations Fireworks show and EPCOT at night and unfortunately using a tripod is a necessity. ; Thank you for your help.

Craig

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Hi Craig, welcome.

How much larger than a backpack is it? ; Can it be strapped to the outside of a photography backpack?

3. Doublevision

Doublevision Member

Tripod is about 27" long folded (including ballhead). ; Does the tripod have to be in a backpack, or can I just carry one in the park with no backpack at all?

4. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Mike (mSummers) needs to chime in with the dimensions of his tripod. ; That thing is massive and have never heard of him getting stopped for too large a tripod. ; I think the Disney rule is there to discourage "Professional" photographers and also to keep guests from tripping over the large tripod legs.

Sent from my iPad

5. mSummers

mSummers Member

I have a Gitzo GT3541XLS which is 27.6" without a head. ; The head brings it to a 31.25" length. ; I've never had an issue using it in the parks. ; Most of the time I carry it into the park, as I don't like it strapped to my backpack. ; Of course, your mileage may vary.

Like Red noted, they really don't want professional photography to occur in the parks without their permission. ; As long as you aren't creating a nuisance, you should be fine. ; I always try to keep the tripod legs pulled in to shoulder width when I'm using the tripod in crowded areas of the park.

6. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

That last point by Mike I feel is the biggest issue for the few people who have complained about getting in trouble with Disney Security for tripods. ; I personally don't think it has to do with the tripod's size, but the behavior of the person with the tripod. ; Always be considerate of those around you - never set up in the middle of a high-traffic area, do not block any paths or entrances or doors, try to be 'out of the way' whenever possible - setting up next to rails, fences, etc and always keeping the third leg out of traffic, pulling them in tighter sometimes if you're squeezed in. ; And when walking the parks with the tripod, always compact the legs together and hold the camera over your shoulder if keeping the legs extended, or bring the legs partially in at least so you can move through a crowd without conking any passerby on the head or spearing their gut.

I've never had an issue in many dozens of Disney trips setting up my tripod all over the parks and resorts - 4 or 5 trips a year. ; But I'm always considerate where I set up and how I move around with it. ; And if asked by security if I'm a professional or am taking shots for professional purposes, I courteously let them know I am just shooting for my own personal shots, for fun, and not for professional reasons - staying friendly and non-confrontational has always worked really well with security for me...and some famously known web examples of some who took a different approach have become legend...not usually working out so well for the photographer.

7. Doublevision

Doublevision Member

Thanks for the information and advice. ; I may try using a smaller less imposing tripod for this trip and see how that goes before venturing out with the bigger tripod. ; I've deliberately chosen to visit in early February because number one the weather is usually cool and number two the crowds are usually light. ; Light crowds should make using the tripod a little less of a hassle. ; I wouldn't even bother to try to take a tripod during the busy season.

8. lightslicer

lightslicer Member

I ; do not tote a back pack-with the tripod attached or exposed-- I have a specific over the shoulder bag that fits mine- I throw the monopod in there too- but travel light camera/lens wise. I have never been bothered- respect is the key....even though those around you may not respect you...( other guests)