western maryland railroad time again

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by gary, Jan 13, 2013.

1. mSummers

mSummers Member

John, it's really not that bad ;) ; I only had to hold my breath for about a minute. ; I could have been out in 45 seconds if I wasn't shooting the video.

They are occasionally run in the summer, but not very often because the sun is horrible in the middle of the day. ; The way around that is to shoot sunrise, take a break in the middle of the day and then shoot again at sunset, but that requires two crews which is usually expensive. ; I'll let you know if I see anything, but right now the ones I know about on the east coast are:

Strasburg 2/18-19
    Cass Railfan Weekend 5/16-19

I'm attending both of those. ; There is another charter in Pennsylvania that is rumored to be 5/16-17 but it hasn't been confirmed yet. ; I've heard a couple of rumors of fall charters, but nothing remotely definite yet.

2. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Thanks for another fun video. ; The uneven cadence of the exhaust at the beginning is interesting.

3. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Thanks, I will give the May weekend a thought, but probably a no go since I used all my days for Pixelmania.

4. mSummers

mSummers Member

734 has had timing issues for quite some time. ; I assume they're waiting for her next 1472 day inspection in 2015 to correct that and the ever present steam leak at the cylinders.

5. mSummers

mSummers Member

Cass is probably to far to attempt without vacation days. ; The best way in is to take 81 to Staunton, VA and then take 250 to 28/92 to 66, but I don't recommend driving those in the dark

6. gary

gary Member

you do fine to staunton as it's all interstate, 250 to the state line isn't too bad, but just about when you think, hey i got this handled, the real west virginia shows up, you know, that place where you drop to about a 25 miles per hour average, and all of a sudden the last 70 miles takes 2 1/2 hours

7. wddoebler

wddoebler Member

Beautiful railroad shots as usual Gary!

8. mSummers

mSummers Member

West Portal of Brush Tunnel: ;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coal Tipple:

[​IMG]

Trimble Road Signal Bridge Eastbound:

[​IMG]

West Sunnyside:

[​IMG]

9. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Sweet stuff Michael, love that second one and the last. ; They are wall worthy!

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Top notch, Gary & Michael

Sent from my fabulous iPhone 4

11. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks guys!

Here's a few more "Ghost Train" shots in the fog. ;

Helmstetter's Curve on Saturday Morning:

[​IMG]

Rt 40 Bridge on Sunday Morning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A shot of the caboose as the train passed the photo line at the bridge:

[​IMG]

12. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Nice work there Michael. ; I like the second of the two on the Rt 40 bridge, the steam is blocking the railing from the walkway, and you get just a little more of the locomotive.

13. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks, John!

14. gary

gary Member

nice michael, i really like that ghost train look of the 2nd rt 40 bridge, it would have been nice to do sunday, but it's a long drive, as it was i hit such dense fog that i only made allentown saturday

15. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks Gary! ; I completely understand not wanting to do that drive Sunday night.

16. mSummers

mSummers Member

Here's the last few from this trip.

734 arriving at the station Saturday morning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Helmstetter's Curve Westbound on Saturday afternoon:

[​IMG]

A shot of the photo line with the train heading east on Sunday afternoon:

[​IMG]

I didn't need any more cloudy shots at Helmstetter's Curve, so I elected to do some panning practice Sunday afternoon:

[​IMG]

And finally, a couple of shots of the Western Maryland Station at night:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Nice stuff Michael, that last one of the station at night is outstanding. ; Great idea using B&W for that, really helps with the mood.

18. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks, John!

19. Brother Jay

Brother Jay Member

exceptional! ; As some others had mentioned as well, great use of the B&W treatment!

20. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks, Jay!