What are we going to call this? SmartCamera? Nikon P&S with Android

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Roger, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Nikon S800C

So, you don't need your smartphone to access your FastPasses at WDW anymore! ; Just bring your camera, and while you are waiting in line for Pirates, you can check your pictures, post them to Facebook, and comment on your favorite threads here!

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Yep - it's the coming trend. ; The new NEX cameras coming in a month or two are also supposedly internet-enabled. ; Scary in some ways, possibly interesting in others. ; Surfing the web on a camera and posting to facebook directly I can't say holds any draw for me, but being able to download apps that can customize controls or functions might be interesting.

3. Roger

How about accessing Twitter :cough:cough:

The NEX one is odd because it's supposedly NOT Android OS, so I am confused about the purpose. ; There won't be an immediate availability of apps for people, but I can see the possibilities.

4. mSummers

mSummers Member

I don't see much use for an Internet enabled camera for me personally, but it could be handy for sports shooters since they could potentially transmit the images back to their agency in real time. ; Although, I'd hate to see it added to the pro bodies since like video it would be one more thing driving up the cost of the equipment that I don't need.

5. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Like Roger's favorite... the Print Button?

6. Roger

That's going to be replaced by the "Upload" button. ; Unfortunately it will ONLY upload to Canon's new online photo sharing service, MyPhotoCanon. ; A 1 yr subscription will be included with every new digital camera purchase*

*Offer excludes the EOS-1D,3D,5D,and 7D series cameras. ; Offer not valid where prohibited by law and is subject to network availability, domain name availability, FDA & FTC clearance. ; Offer is valid with the EOS Cinema class cameras however all video will be uploaded to ProjectImagination2012 video sharing sites. ; By uploading photos and video you give a nonexclusive right of use to Canon, Inc. for your still and video files. ; Camera purchaser or user must be over 13 in order to use the service.

7. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

If only you weren't kidding.

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thom Hogan did not have a lot of good things to say about the camera or Nikon's marketing for it. ; I think it's a kludge gadget which is stuck with no way to upgrade the operating system it is running under. ; I love the concept but Nikon missed ; the boat here. ; Not sure it is enough for people to drop the coin when they get pretty good photos from a smartphone.