what do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by mainstreet1997, Nov 13, 2008.

1. backpack or slingpack style?

2. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

I've always preferred a shoulder bag. but I think I'm in the minority.

3. gary

gary Member

unfortunately bags are like lenses, no one bag fits all trips and circumstances
    i've used and carried both styles extensively the last 2 years and each has pro and con
    back pack, rides the most comfortable to me, usually holds the most gear depending on size, con, not for foreign trips, can be slashed open too easy from behind with a razor and contents removed without you even being the wiser

sling pack, best for anti theft, not always comfortable in the larger sizes, easy access while wearing, there are places in this world where you do NOT want to take your bag off and have it loose at your side, theives will grab it and run away

my reccomendations for sling packs would be a company called naneupro, they got their start making military special ops gear, they have some very well thought out sling bags, i have the echo model, toured much of the western med with no complaints, 1 body, 3 lenses, batteries, charger, 12 cf cards,assorted extras, many days it was wrapped around me in excess of 8 hours without discomfort

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i am a backpack guy.

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Fanny pack guy. :-[ My fanny pack holds my SB-600 falsh unit and a 50mm/18-200VR (depending on what's on my camera) in one part and extra memory cards, batteries and misc stuff in the other. I also have something I use for the 80-400mm setup that's like a fanny pack on steroids. You'll see that at MF. It's my zoo bag I call it as it works very well with the big lens.

I do see the merit in getting a better bag. Will be checking you all out at MF to see what works for all of you.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  6. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I have a Tamrac backpack and I'm starting to find it annoying in the parks. You have to open everything up for "security" and it's a pain to get all zipped back up again. I may lean toward a sling bag or look for something more like what Tim has where the entire bag opens up and it would make for easy passes through security.

My problem is that i need space for non-camera stuff to be hauled around with me (snacks, lightweight rain coat, etc).

7. mSummers

mSummers Member

Depending on the situation, I use either a backpack or a shoulder bag. I prefer the shoulder bag because its more convenient to get into and change lenses quickly. If I need to run between locations or if I can't fit everything I need into my big shoulder bag, then I use the backpack.

8. Hmmm still torn. Like I said, Im using a bag with a shoulder strap that I usually wear across my body (actually this one http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Tamrac-E ... tDetail.do) and its kind of bulky on my side. So Im looking to upgrade before my trip. I found this http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Lowepro- ... tDetail.do today at circuit city. But I was wondering if backpack style would be all hot and sweaty and a pain to take off everytime I want to change lenses instead of sliding it around my body.

9. mSummers

mSummers Member

I don't like having to take the backpack off all the time to change lenses, so I prefer the shoulder bag over the backpack. I have my shoulder bags adjusted so the bag sits on my back just above my hips so its not in the way on my side and not bouncing around on my back when I walk.

10. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I used to always have a square shoulder bag, but went to a backpack for my SLR since I needed to carry a huge lens. I love it - though admittedly I often use it like a handbag, carrying it by the top handle, or as a sling-style bag by throwing one strap over one shoulder and hanging the bag over my back. I only go full backpack style for longer walks.

No problems with security since the main cover on my Kata R103 opens up the whole inside of the bag with one quick zip...but the big lid has a smaller zipped lid built in so the camera and attached lens can be removed on the fly without opening the whole bag and dumping lenses on the ground.

11. molander

molander Member

I'm liking both of these and am also in need of a bag. Here's a review on the Tamrac that you may find helpful:
    Tamrac
    Don't see a review for the other...

12. Scubamickey

Scubamickey Member

Molander did you end up getting the Tamrac bag?

mainstreet1997, which bag did you end up getting?

I have started off with a smaller Tamrac bag and love it, other then when I want to take out or put away the camera I have to take the bag off which isn't always easy to put it away while standing in line. You all know know the drill. So Im in hunt for a different bag.

13. molander

molander Member

No, I ended up with the Case Logic SLRC-5Case Logic SLRC-5 SLR Camera Backpack

Order it from Amazon and have yet to try it out but it seems well made, lots of storage room and got great reviews.

14. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

I actually like wearing a vest more and more. I find that is distributes the weight a lot better and provides great access to lenses and parts. Though, when I go out for hikes a backpack is what I grab.

Jason

15. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I've been using a belt pack lately. A few months ago I found a line of components from [blue]Think Tank Photo[/blue]. I picked up a Skin Belt, a Digital Holster for my camera and a Lightning Fast for my flash. The best part is that the cases come with rain hoods, perfect for riding Splash Mountain.

16. I ended up sticking with my Tamarac shoulder bag. It did quite well but being a newbie at this I left it in the room a couple of nights to give my body a break!