What do you think is essential to pack for a day in the parks shooting

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by BB3126, Feb 1, 2009.

1. BB3126

BB3126 Member

Getting ready for our next trek to WDW in April, I would like to hear what everyone considers essential to pack for a good days shooting. How many lenses and which ones, filters?, tripod? Tips are greatly appreciated.

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

It will depend if you plan on going back to a hotel room during the day....

If I'm with my kids, I know we'll go back to the room during the day, so I won't bring the tripod early in the day. But if I'm not with the kids, I'll bring the tripod and rent a locker.

Lens wise, it depends on what you have! If you have an all-in-one (18-200 for example, for me the 28-200 for now), you could probably get away with just that lens and then a fast standard lens for dark rides.

I'd bring several memory cards, spare battery (or two), remote release (if you are bringing your tripod early in the day). Filters - the only two that really are of use now: circ. polarizer and ND. My 28-200 doesn't handle non-low profile UV filters, but I'll be changing out my regular lens hopefully before the end of April.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I second the extra batteries and memory cards. always have one more than you need.

4. BB3126

BB3126 Member

thanks, am starting my packing list already from your suggestions

5. Scott

Scott Member

Don't forget your lens hoods, if you use them. I think they're important for sunny Florida.

6. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Now that I have the cinch straps for my backpack that go through the loops on the bottom, I carry my tripod all day now. But, if you are driving you can always leave the tripod in the car. If you are using a stroller with the kids, like Tim does, you can always leave the tripod there too.

But, I pretty much only travel with my 18-200VR lens and my 50/1.8. The rest of my bag is holding my pistol grip head for my tripod, my ExpoDisc, and my flash unit. I also have 2 spare batteries (one for me and one for my wife) and extra media.

Since, I have the stronger back, I am carrying all the extra batteries and media for my wife's camera too

7. Im bringing my camera, 18-55, 55-250 and 50/1.8 lenses, my expocap, memory cards,battery charger;), tripod, my macro filters....I wonder if I have time to order an extra battery and get it here in the next couple of days (if the shipping doesnt kill me)

8. mSummers

mSummers Member

I'll second the lens hoods. I use them all the time.

I always carry my fast 50mm for the dark rides. I don't have an all in one zoom, so I carry a combination of the 14-24, 28-70, 70-200 and 80-400 depending on what I'm shooting. The 70-200 usually stays in the room since I use it mostly for shooting fireworks from across the lagoon or from Main Street Station. The 80-400 only goes to AK when I go over there to shoot the animals. I usually leave the tripod in the room and pick it up after dinner if I'm going to shoot fireworks that night.

And don't forget to take your battery chargers... My sister forgot hers on our last trip, so my parents had to drive into Orlando and pay way too much for an off brand replacement...

9. BB3126

BB3126 Member

I don't have a lens hood for the new canon, sounds like a trip to the store or an online oder in the making, no grandkids this trip so no stroller to haul extras in. Should I have a remote release? old days would have called it a cable release?

I have an 18-55 & 55-250 lenses so far,

10. Roger

Yes. The low end consumer cameras have an option usually nowadays for an IR release as well, and I know from experience that it is useless for firework photography at the parks. So I differentiate between the two.

11. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Pretty much anything you need for your camera (and then some) can be found within seconds at B&H. A lot of stuff has free shipping too.
    I second that you need lens hoods and a cable release.
    CLICK HERE.

12. nice product placement Tim! Do you get a commission? LOL

13. BB3126

BB3126 Member

I just had looked at B & H oddly enough before I signed in, plan on checking them out closer in the next few days, the prices looked good from what little I checked out. Even though Atlanta is a big town B & H seems to have better prices than what I have found here.

14. mPower

mPower Member

Roger,

What are you going to change the 28-200 G for? Just curious as I will be making the jump to the D700/D3 wonderland shortly. I was thinking a 24-120D if I could find one...

15. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

If you do pack a tripod to bring along...make sure you've got the quick release plate that goes with it, or your tripod will be little more than modern art to place on a shelf back at the room.

Yes...I speak from very recent experience! :)

16. Roger

Hopefully the 24-70. As I look back at some recent pics with the 28-200, it isn't as bad as I was leaning towards thinking it is - when I was shooting with the SB-800. I have to post some shots from this weekend....but the vignetting with a filter was just horrible. Nikon did a better job with its' younger sibling the 18-200.

17. mPower

mPower Member

In the parks, where are you finding yourself in terms of focal length for the majority of your shots in FX? I seem to remember Tim's walkaround lens tops out somewhere in the 120's if memory serves. (I did find two of the 24-120Ds btw...both at or under $200)

18. Roger

Uhhh 14-24?

The only time I've had FX at the parks the 14-24 was practically glued to my camera...since it'd been years since I was able to go to 20mm or wider! (excepting for my flight on the B-17 when I rented the Tokina f/4 for DX)

I'm basing it on prior experience, and that I'll use the 80-400 if I need more length....I guess I'll find out in a few months anyway!

19. mPower

mPower Member

Ahh, got it. Was thinking the 14-24 along with another lens, just couldn't bring myself to heft the 70-200 around all day.

20. Roger

I don't blame you!