What Equipment? (Also an idea for a part of pixelmania?)

Discussion in 'PIXELMANIA!' started by Justman1020, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Justman1020

Justman1020 Member

So, I know im the new guy around here, but Im one of those who loves equipment...So I figured I would ask what people plan to bring. For me, I will probably bring a single backpack, with a flash, a 50mm, a 40mm, my 24-105, a 28-135, and maybe a 70-200. All Canon equipment, and possibly a tripod as well. What is everyone else bringing?

Also, I dont know if anyone would be interested in a day for a "gear trade" where if there is something people are interested in trading for? I know that the local photo shops around here host them sometimes, and it seems like there will be a large number of people in town for this, so, I figured I would throw the idea out there.

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

A few of us (myself included) go with the lock and load and take a whole backpack full of stuff with them. ; Whether that backpack if full of mirrorless kit or a full on d/SLR rig, we go big or go home. ;

3. Yep, what Tim said.. If you hear any "braying" it's coming from me as I lug my killer back pack around the park loaded with gear for any possible situation that might come up. We are THAT obsessed..

~Joanie

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I am a little lighter of a park traveler myself...though I BRING a ton of equipment with me, I tend to leave it back in the villa and just bring each day the camera or cameras plus handful of lenses I deem I'll need that day.

I bring my DSLR, mirrorless body, 10 mirrorless lenses, 7 DSLR lenses, tripod, remotes, filters, etc. ; On any given day in the parks I will usually have at most the two camera bodies with up to 5 lenses...I don't like backpacking it, so I max out with a medium/large shoulder bag.

5. mSummers

mSummers Member

I tend to bring a lot of stuff with me too. ; On a photo trip, I'd rather have too much gear than wish I would have brought something with me that I didn't. ;

6. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I leave nothing at home! ; Yet I don't have the gear some others here have!

7. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I bring the whole kit and kaboodle (what the hell is a "kaboodle" anyway?). ; Sometimes I even forget to zip my backpack... ; (Gary?)

8. mSummers

mSummers Member

Please don't forget to zip the backpack again. ; You stopped about 15 hearts that night. ; Fortunately we all were wearing our epitaphs! ; ;D

9. Justman1020

Justman1020 Member

I think the reason I limit what I bring is because I live here, and so, I am there SO OFTEN...

Also, do I have to do the verification on the bottom of EVERY post?!?

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

You will need a tripod for any night shooting, fireworks, etc. ; I make good use of the lockers to store it during the daylight hours.

11. gary

gary Member

gary channels robert duval "i love the sound of breaking glass in the evening"

that was something we all hope never to hear again, how many lenses hit the pavement that night anyway 4,5 ??

12. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I'm happy I missed this event. ; *knock on wood* I've never dropped a lens or camera, but I have been standing next to a friend when he dropped a lens, and the sound was sickening - just awful...followed by stunned silence and a near paralysis on his part as he looked down and just took it in, what had just happened. ; Even other people walking by, many who weren't even photographers, were gasping and looked ill! ; The lens was badly dented and though it seemed to still work, it was badly misaligned and OOF, so it had to be sent in for repairs.

13. mSummers

mSummers Member

I've only dropped one. ; Fortunately it was into 2ft of fresh snow in Yellowstone, which was a nice soft landing.

14. lightslicer

lightslicer Member

I have to share a story- Last year I only made it to DHS for the Lights- I got there early-my husband hung around- He waited-and was reluctant to leave me- he kept saying how will you know them...I just chuckled and said- I will just know its them....and I did-- I knew them instantly- by the gear.....:) Just a newbie-with a bridge camera and a tripod- wanting to push what it could do---They helped ; me greatly- specially Tim- when I grow up- ( I am near 60) I want one of those real cameras... 8) ; Bring- what makes you feel comfortable carting around- enjoy the moments with people as passionate about photographing Disney as you- and take home memories that cant be captured in print.... ; ;) Enjoy---and drink plenty of coffee- I hear- you can sleep when its over. ;