Which Canon EF to Sony E Mount adapter?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Tim, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I have been perusing the MANY different Canon EF to Sony E-Mount adapters out there and have to ask... ; which one do I want? ; I only plan on using it (for now) with my 28 f/1.8, 50 f/1.4, and 85 f/1.8 lenses. ; The price seems to run all over the place, from $15 to several hundred. ; Do I really need one with an adjustable "aperture"?

My guess is to start CHEAP and learn how to quickly autofocus with the peaking function... ; Suggestions?

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

If you don't get one with an aperture adjustment option I think you will be stuck with wide open. ; That is the big drawback.

3. Tim

I would only be using them for dark rides etc for now. ; I think I am just going to get a very basic cheapo one just to see if I even like using it before I spend any real money on one of these things. If it costs me 20 bucks and I don't like it then I am only out 20 bucks.

4. HPS3

HPS3 Member

Hey Tim, I use the cheap Ebay adapters(Fotosay I think is the name) for around $10-$20 and they work great. I have the ones with the sliding aperture adjustments. They don't have markings so you kinda guess at apertures.

I will say if you plan on doing long day exposures like I did, watch that you don't get light leak from the adapters. I have the ones with a little flat push release to release the lens from the adapter and I kept getting overblown left part of the frame and finally realized it was the adapter/lens release tab. I covered it with electrical tape and it's fine now.

5. Tim

Thanks... ; I noticed that some of them mentioned "no play". ; I guess light leak is what they meant.

6. HPS3

HPS3 Member

7. Tim

8. HPS3

HPS3 Member

That one looks good.