Which digital camera is better?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by broadwille, Mar 7, 2011.

1. broadwille

broadwille Member

I want to buy one of the new Sony DSLR cameras. What do you recommend? Im between in Sony NEX 3K and Sony NEX 3A... I don't know the differences of those two cameras.. Which is better? Thank you in advance..

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Welcome to the forums, Broadwille. ; A little more detailed info might help hone down the recommendations - what types of shooting do you intend to do (portraits, landscape, wildlife, scenic, travel, architecture, sports), what types of conditions (day, night, cloudy, indoors, outdoors)...what type of camera do you have now, and what if anything do you feel it's missing?

Just to clarify on one thing: the NEX cameras aren't technically 'DSLRs'. ; They have DSLR-type APS-C sensors in them, and can take equally good shots, but are different in the way they work - there's no mirror at all, they don't have a phase-detect focus system, and have no viewfinders. ; They function very closely to the way a P&S camera might, in that you hold them up viewing the LCD screen, line up the shot and settings, then take the photo. ; They have a big advantage over DSLRs in portability, but tend to be not quite as fast to shoot or focus, and won't be as usable for extreme photogaphy like long-lens wildlife shooting or action sports.

As for the main differences - there are two Sony NEX cameras currently - the NEX3 and the NEX5. ; The last letter, the 'K' and 'A' and such indicate the lens packages and body colors that you choose. ; Because these are interchangeable lens cameras, they can be bought as just a camera body, with the lens to be chosen later by you, they can be bought with the 16mm fixed lens in the box, they can be bought with the stabilized 18-55mm lens in the box, or they can be bought with BOTH of these lenses in the box. ; For general photography purposes, the 18-55mm lens is a little larger, but much more useful, since you have some zoom ability.

The main difference between the NEX3 and NEX5 are that the NEX3 has a slimmer body that's slightly taller, with a narrower grip, 720P HD video, and a plastic outer body shell. ; The NEX5 adds a thicker grip, a full magnesium alloy body, 1080p HD video, and a remote shutter release. ; Otherwise, they're the same sensor and take the same lenses, so the images that come out won't be any different.

Give us some info on the types of photography you do, and what you think you need in a camera - there are other options too besides the NEX, with Sony making SLT cameras (fixed mirror SLRs) and traditional DSLRs, alongside other brand offerings from Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, and Pentax, which are also worth consideration depending on your needs. ; BTW, I have a NEX3 with the 18-55mm lens that I just bought last week as a second camera to go with my DSLR, so I do know a fair bit about the camera if you need more info!

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Welcome from me as well.

I think Justin's covered everything as of right now. ; You should be able to get some good deals on the NEX-3 as they have been discontinued with a new model coming out in the next month or so, but it will have more megapixels, which isn't automatically a good thing.

4. gary

gary Member

i have 2 systems, a full frame canon dslr, 5dmk2, along with a nice set of L grade lenses, both primes and zooms
    and i too have recently joined the ranks of the micro 4/3 owners, with a panasonic G1, another mirrorless, electronic view finder, interchangeable lens system, very exciting for travel potential for small size/low weight.
    we really do need some more insight, what interests you most in taking photos, do you use anything now, do you have any ideas on where your photography interests might take you,we are more than happy to help, but we want to give legitimate meaningful advice, stuff to help you reach the vision inside