Zeiss announces Touit line for mirrorless

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Roger, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Look interesting - especially 12mm F2.8...if they've conquered the distortion.

Of course, prices may be scary. ; The 32mm F1.8 is an interesting focal length choice as well...I'd find it more interesting if I didn't just pick up a different 35mm F1.4 lens[nb]Nope...not the Sony version[/nb] to play with!

3. Roger

I am assuming that it will be similar to their current full frame line, which about 2% distortion and that is really good for a lens that wide. ; Price will be about the same as the current Zeiss 24 I think, so high in terms of other ; NEX lenses but less than the new Zeiss A Mount 50/1.4.

4. zackiedawg

If it falls in the Zeiss 24mm range on price, then it would be reasonable enough - for the higher end crowd but not exorbitant.

I'm awaiting arrival of my first 'Leica M'-mount lens - coming with the NEX-M adapter and hood too. ; I don't know that I'll be able to justify the $2K-5K price of actual Leica lenses, but the M mount is nice because it's so close to the NEX registration, so minimal adapter size and nice, small lenses. ; The 35mm F1.4 even with hood will be smaller than the NEX 18-55 kit lens. ; Should be lots of fun - It'll get a lot of use this June in Disney, I'm sure! ; I may just have to do a prime day, and stick with that lens all day and night, for the challenge.

5. HPS3

HPS3 Member

Justin, congrats on the leica glass. I'd have to sell my organs or walk to work too afford that and an M camera. I'm not a sharpness freak, even though the Leicas are sharp, they have such a character to them. That is special glass. I thought I was crazy when I just bought a Pentax 43 f1.9 limited in silver. It's the made in Japan version and I paid $620 for it. It's dreamy and beautiful wide open. It's just magical like the leica.

6. zackiedawg

Thanks...though I'm not getting a Leica yet! ; I'm picking up the Leica M to NEX adapter, so I can use the glass on my NEX - I'd also have to sell some organs to buy an actual Leica M camera. ; The lens I'm getting now is also not Leica glass - it's in Leica M mount, but another manufacturer. ; But getting the M-mount adapter makes me tempted and staying on the lookout for any steals on some good Leica glass if I ever run into it. ; I've even got a friend in England looking out for some Leica deals over there, in case somewhere in England she finds one in a shop and someone doesn't realize the value.

For now, I'll have to make due with cheaper Leica-mount glass. ; The lens is a Voigtlander Nokton 35mm F1.4. ; I'm getting it for a nice price - a hundred or two less than it sells for, with the hood and M-mount-NEX adapter thrown in, which would have cost another $100 or so on their own. ; Should be fun!

7. HPS3

HPS3 Member

Hey Justin, Steve Huff put out a really good review of that lens up against the Summicron which is like thousands more and they were pretty equal. I'm not a sports shooter at all, although I wish I could shoot wildlife like you, I love the rendering of cameras and lenses like the Leica's put out. It's like the Fuji series, they are just dreamy and beautiful. I'm learning that I like character more than sharpness of a lens.

8. zackiedawg

Agreed - character is worth something for sure. ; The Voigt looks plenty sharp stopped down a tad, but it also has a certain character and style wide open - still sharp, slightly dreamy, nice bokeh. ; I'm thinking it'll be a fun handheld twilight night lens, and also very good for detail shots and daytime wide aperture closeups.

9. Roger

Early prices show about 900 for the 32 and 1250 for the 12.

10. zackiedawg

Not too bad if those prices stick.

11. Roger

Prices are sticking. Now available for preorder at B&H.

12. HPS3

HPS3 Member

I wonder how much better the Zeiss will be compared to the Sony 35. I wish it was stabilized. I'm having a hard time right now keeping up with 2 cameras. I just sold off my kit lens and Tamron 17-50 from my K-5II to buy back into the Nex world. I just picked up a like new Nex 6 for $600. I bought the K-5II to have full stabilization and good autofocus but I've really missed the Nex. I remember getting funny looks in WDW when I was using my Nex 7 last year when everyone was still oblivious to mirrorless cameras.

Actually, I met Tim and Jeff in HS one night and I know they probably laughed about my Nex 7 when we parted ways.

Who's laughing now Tim!!!! LoL

13. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

haha! no kidding! my wife keeps calling it my toy camera. luckily I don't have little man complex! This nex is great!