Animal Kingdom: Discovery Island

Discussion in 'Disney's Animal Kingdom Photos' started by ddindy, Jan 13, 2015.

1. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Post your photos from non-specific locations on Discovery Island here.

I'll start it off with the cotton-top tamarins in their new (and probably temporary) location near the Africa gateway.

[​IMG]
    Hey, I can see Mickey from up here!

2. ExploringWDW

ExploringWDW Member

Supposedly the walls in front of the Tree of life came down this morning. Here's a photo from close tonight.

[​IMG]

3. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I got a treat when I walked down the Discovery fIsland trail and found Tarzan greeting guests. You could not see him from the start of the trail across from the new Starbuck's location.

[​IMG]
    Tarzan, the Ape Man
    by Scott Thomas, on Flickr

5. zackiedawg

I've never seen Tarzan in AK...anywhere. Only on rare occasion Pocahontas. Has Tarzan always been in the park or is it new?

Flame Tree BBQ sits on Discovery Island:
    [​IMG]

Evad and Scottwdw like this.
  6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

@zackiedawg, this was the first time I had seen him. What was strange was he did not have a PhotoPass person with him. Only a handler. He was listed on the daily times sheet so look to see if he is listed. Also, he is hidden on the trail so you have to walk down it to see him.

7. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

The ONLY time I ever met Tarzan was running the full marathon in 2008, he was along the course taking pictures like many other characters (picture of us is at home not on this laptop).

8. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Found that shot of Tarzan from January of 2008 (taken out of Oceola Parkway, so not exactly on Discovery Island

[​IMG]Tarzan and Terk by John Wolff, on Flickr

9. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I had only ever seen him at the Halloween Party (but again, not Discovery Island)...[​IMG]

10. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Now, to get the thread back on track... ;)

[​IMG]

11. zackiedawg

Under the Tree:
    [​IMG]

12. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Tree of Life at Blue Hour.

[​IMG]

13. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Tree of Life "Natural HDR"
    DU3R8801-HDR.jpg

14. zackiedawg

Newly touched up Riverside Depot:
    [​IMG]

15. zackiedawg

Looking forward to seeing the new night Animal Kingdom lighting in a few weeks - until then, here's the 'old' tree at night:
    [​IMG]

Scottwdw likes this.
  16. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

The new projection shows on the Tree of Life are fantastic. I like how they went with reality when showing the animals associated with animated movies. Here is the finale of one of the shows....

[​IMG]
    Cicler of Life Tree
    by Scott Thomas, on Flickr

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Chernabog1940 likes this.
  17. zackiedawg

Agreed Scott (and nice shot too!). I wasn't sure if anyone had posted the projection show - just saw it last week for the first time and thought it was very cool. I even like the 'preshow' stuff where the animal carvings on the trunk randomly and occasionally 'wake up' and move around. I was strictly handheld and walking past, miserably hot, and having had a few too many Leapin Lizards at Nomad lounge, so I wasn't in the mood to set up my shots, but I did snap a few shots of the show. Here's one:
    [​IMG]

Chernabog1940 and Scottwdw like this.
  18. zackiedawg

Inside the new Nomad bar, next to Tiffin's:
    [​IMG]

Chernabog1940 likes this.
  19. zackiedawg

I made a 'discovery' on Discovery Island myself a few weeks ago. I have no idea how, or why, but I have never once, in dozens or even hundreds of park visits, noticed or seen a lemur. I presume they've been there for a while, but they're hidden a bit to the right of the Tree, behind the Doug & Russell meet & greet spot, and hemmed in by the Tough-to-be-a-Bug entrance. So anyway, this time I took notice, they were out, and I took my first lemur shots at AK:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Evad, Scottwdw and Chernabog1940 like this.
  20. gary

gary Member

well they are hard to pin down,mostly because well, you know, they like to move it move it

Scottwdw likes this.