B-17 Flying Fortress

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by jbwolffiv, Jun 13, 2014.

1. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

The weather the first day was outstanding! First time in three years it was clear with a few clouds. This is the same B-17 that has appeared each year I have attended and goes up pretty much every hour for rides. During the show it goes up with the other bombers and flies numerous passes, this one with the bomb bay doors open.

[​IMG]B-17 Flying Fortress by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Very cool John...love those old beasts. We have them stop by across the street from my house each year, but often on a weekday when I'm at work so I often miss them! I did catch a B24 visiting some months back:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I was actually out birding in the wetlands when this flew over, and all I had was my 300mm F4 + 1.4x TC on - which made the plane almost too close to shoot! Apparently this is the only fully authentic flying B24J at the moment...amazing considering they were one of the most produced planes during WWII.

I love the silver aluminum finish on your 17 shot...they always look so cool that way.

3. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Is that the Aluminum Overcast, John? It's a great shot, and I see you've learned to use a slower shutter speed to get prop blur. (Unlike Justin. ;) )

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Indeed Dennis - I was on the dead-opposite settings in fact! I was set up for BIFs, and this rather large 'bird' surprised me with a flyover!

5. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Thanks Justin! You have that right, the only B-24J that is flying. I have shots of the only B-24A from this weekend. I had never seen one before (let alone fly) and now I know why, they are the only 2 that fly here in the US. Will get shots Diamond L'il up soon (I hope).

Thanks Dennis!! After that first year with "frozen" props, I have use 250 or slower.

6. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member