Best First Disney Movie For a Two Year Old?

Discussion in 'Disney With The Kids' started by Streak, May 2, 2014.

1. Streak

Streak Member

*waves* Hello everyone!

I'm a proud mother of one. My son Ayden is 17 months old and I absolutely adorable Disney movies. I was hoping that maybe some of you could give some advice on what you think would be the best Disney movie for me to try to start watching with him. He's incredibly picky about what shows he will even tolerate on the television. I don't expect him to sit down and watch an entire Disney movie at the age of two... But there are so many choices!

Any suggestions on what you think might hold his attention would be loved!

Right now the only shows he will watch are Super Why! and Despicable Me. Anything else cannot hold is attention even for a second.

2. Bloomsie

Bloomsie Member

Hi there!
    I would recommend animals for someone that's young. So this can relate to The Lion King, The Mouse Detective, The Rescuers/The Rescuers Down Under, and more. I don't have a child of my own, but I've noticed that children love to see not just colorful movies, but things that they aren't familiar with. So animals would be a wonderful direction to introduce Ayden to Disney.

Though if statistics weren't in the picture, I'd say hands down Beauty and the Beast. :D Only because it's amazing. Haha!

3. Streak

Streak Member

Beauty and the Beast was my favorite Disney movie when I was younger. My mother said I would watch it on a loop all day and drive her right up the wall.

Was not one of your suggestions, but your suggestion of animals made me think of a Disney movie I've not seen in a long time! Have you ever seen Aristocats? I think that might be perfect for him! Just because he knows what cats are, haha.

Oliver & Company is a Disney movie too I believe... He definitely knows what dogs are and finds them more amusing than cats.

Hehe, would not thought of either of these without your help. Thank you! :D

4. Bloomsie

Bloomsie Member

@Streak You're very welcome! I'm glad that I can help. :) I used to have Beauty and the Beast looped, too. It's probably why I know all the words from beginning to end. Haha! It's a curse more than anything!
    And yes, of course I've seen the Aristocats! It's a classic! Good luck getting Ayden assimilated to Disney. It won't be long until he's a fanatic!

5. dandeliion

dandeliion Member

I think The Lion King is a good place to start! That movie in particular always seems to be a hit with kids.

6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Member

I think the Lion King is a good movie for little ones too. My kids love it and get to learn a lot about animals of the desert in the process. Really just about any Disney movie is a hit with kids.

7. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

If Pixar counts you can't go wrong with Finding Nemo

8. Streak

Streak Member

I actually think I have a copy of Finding Nemo, though it is not Disney. It still is adorable. I need to try to find something other than Super Why or Despicable Me that he will watch for my own sanity.

I would gladly run Mulan on repeat all day, haha. I'll have to see what Disney movies are available on Netflix. I know they have a handful of them on there.

Thanks for the advice guys!

9. g2narat

g2narat Member

I was just going to reply Oliver and Company before I saw your reply! Hahaha! Has he seen it yet? Did he like it? I have a 2 year old nephew and he loves that movie! :)

10. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarie Member

I would suggest The Lion King just because he is a boy and I don't think he will like the princess movies. The Lion King seems to be a great sing along for kids that age also. Without a doubt he will be sit still and watch this movie. Good Luck!

11. Streak

Streak Member

We haven't had a chance to sit down and watch any of them yet. :) I need to see what is available on Netflix. Otherwise, I need to go to the used DVD store around the corner and see what kind of prices I would be looking at to get a few options to try to watch with him.

I'm all for him watching the princess movies if he wants too, haha. But, I understand why he might not.

12. RedOleander

RedOleander Member

What about Cars? That one is always a hit! I would also recommend Jungle Book - lots of animals, great music, and the main character is a boy.

How easily scared is your kiddo? Some of the older Disney movies have some pretty scary stuff for little ones.

13. DavitosanX

DavitosanX Member

I second the motion on the Jungle Book. It's colorful, with nice songs, and the scary stuff is kept to a minimum. You could also show him Fantasia, except for the first and last pieces; the first being probably boring for him and the last one terribly scary. But the entire Nutcracker set and Beethoven's 6th symphony are beautiful.

14. RedOleander

RedOleander Member

Yes! Fantasia is one of the reasons that I love classical music as much as I do today. I actually liked the first piece - is that the one with the line and voice over? I haven't seen Fantasia 2000, but I imagine that it would probably be a good idea, too.

15. TheGrey

TheGrey Member

I'm a little surprised at the Lion King suggestions. Some of my neighbors growing up were very upset when they showed it to their young kids. They hadn't realized there was a death scene, so it bothered them that they'd accidentally shown that to their 2-3 year olds. But, most of the dog and cat movies (except maybe Fox and the Hound) would be good for little ones. Peter Pan would be too, I think.