BLT's Top of The World Lounge - views

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by zackiedawg, Oct 8, 2012.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Last month, I took advantage of the current promotion admitting DVC members to the Bay Lake Towers' Top of The World lounge. ; I hadn't been up there before, so it was nice to check it out, hang out for a while, and catch some late day and early night shots from the roof viewing platform. ; My buddy Dave and I went there the first night I got up there - we went to DHS for that afternoon after checking in to the hotel around 1pm, then decided to check out the BLT bar for a few hours before heading off for dinner, so we hopped the Contemporary bus.

Getting in was a cinch - just stopped by the desk in the lobby, showed my room key card (make sure they print that you are a DVC member on the keycard, otherwise bring your DVC member card), and up we went. ; I had my NEX-5N mirrorless cam with me, with my 18-55mm kit lens and an ultrawide prime.

The bar is a nice hangout, and has some very good drinks...I enjoyed a pomegranate margarita, and we hung out waiting for sunset. ; This is the bar with the monorail decor on the windows behind (taken handheld with kit lens from our table, ISO1000):
    [​IMG]

I jumped the gun on this shot...should have waited for sunset, but I didn't - to expose the MK, I had to blow out the sun. ; Why I didn't think of using in-camera HDR I have no idea. ; This is roughly the view from the viewing deck just outside the bar (taken with 12mm UWA prime and cropped for pano):
    [​IMG]

Actually, the view across to the Contemporary is pretty cool from up there! (Taken with a 12mm UWA prime):
    [​IMG]

We stayed there enjoying the bar and the drinks and chatting until nightfall...Dave is my old college roommate and he had just flown in, so we were catching up with eachother on what's been going on since we saw eachother last in December.

By the time I headed outside for some nightshots of the view, it had gotten pretty dark - I didn't bring my DSLR and had no tripod, so I had to rely on steadying myself on the wall ledge and using a high ISO of 6400 to get the shot (using the kit lens, which is stabilized for a little help) - here's the view into MK:
    [​IMG]

And again, the view over to Contemporary was even cooler, so I snapped another one at night (also with the kit lens, ISO400):
    [​IMG]

Afterwards, we decided to take the Contemporary boat over to Wilderness Lodge, as we were having dinner at Whispering Canyon Cafe. ; While waiting for the boat on the dock, I snapped one more handheld with the kit lens at ISO6400 of Bay Lake Tower:
    [​IMG]

Hope you enjoyed! ; I hope I can get back up there again - it's a great bar and great view. ; I still would love to stay in BLT one of these trips, but it's often sold out on my short-notice vacations.

Comments, questions, critique welcome as usual.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Brother Jay

Brother Jay Member

I just love what Disney looks like at night. ; Great shots, thanks for sharing!

3. zackiedawg

Thanks Jay - I love Disney at night too, and from above when possible!

4. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Nice shots Justin! ; I especially like the Contemporary at night one, very cool to see it lit inside as well.

I have spent many an evening at the lounge of the past few years and love it. ; We even ordered off their menu and got some food before Wishes one night. ; Great lounge with a great view.

5. zackiedawg

Thank you John. ; Lucky you! ; I have little chance of getting into BLT because of the way I travel to Disney - I rarely book in advance - my trips are often with 30-60 days notice max - so by the time I get around to booking, I have very little opportunity to pick my resort - I usually just see what's available and take it. ; 99% of the time, that means OKW or Saratoga. ; Sometimes I have a chance at my home resort of Boardwalk (got it for Pixelmania at least), but BLT is usually gone long before I book. ; This DVC preview period was great to finally let me get up there. ; I didn't order from the menu this time - just a few drinks as we were headed off for dinner...and didn't stay long enough for Wishes. ; Maybe the opportunity will come again!

6. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Can't wait to get up to the Top during PM2K12 as the alternate MVMCP Meet.

Sent from my iPhone...

7. Mickey92

Mickey92 Member

These are awesome! I love them! I want to do this next time I go to WDW :)

8. gary

gary Member

just sayin it here, tuesday night 12/4 i'll be up there, it could be the night before the night before pixelmania

9. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I wish I could join you, but DME probably wont get me to Port Orleans until about 10, so not an option. ; I am staying there for the week of Christmas and hope to head up one night that week.

10. mSummers

mSummers Member

I bet we could get a good shot of the giant Mickey wreath on the Contemporary from up there while we're waiting for Wishes

11. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

While this is a few floors lower than the Lounge, it gives you an idea of the view...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone...

12. I actually like the blown-out shot. ; It's artsy and wild--not as safe as a rich sunset. ; The contemporary at night is gorgeous. ; Hmmm...makes me want to give mirrorless a second look.

13. zackiedawg

Wish I could get there that early Gary - I'm still trying to make it for the night before Pixelmania.

Red - great shot of the wreath - and a good idea Michael - that will be a wonderful location to get a shot of that!

Peter - thank you...I usually throw away blown out shots like that, but I liked it too, despite throwing the rules out the window! ; The mirrorless cams are already an IQ match for DSLRs in many types of shots, and making nice strides to try to catch up in other areas too - I find them wonderful as second camera systems if you've already got a DSLR and just want a lighter alternative without giving up on the big sensor and ability to change lenses!

14. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice shots, Red!

15. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Thanks, those were taken from the balcony on the 4th or 7th floor back during PM2K10. ; But the view from the Top will be just as spectacular.

(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk)

16. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

those are great shots Justin!! TOTW is the best lounge on property!