Color Space

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by romar00, Jan 10, 2007.

1. romar00

romar00 Member

I have a Nikon D50 and I was wondering what color space should I be using.?
    Thanks.

2. gary

gary Member

i use sRGB, when i first started to get into digital photography i started devouring every book our library had, could get and even bought a few, as i started to realize just how messed up and variable color space can be, i kept running across references and viewpoints thst sRGB was the one to stick with, it's what labs expect if recieving a jpeg for printing, as best i can determine it's an accepted world standard, i also realized in a hurry how complex and math oriented color spacing gets, trust me, it's real deep nerdy in a hurry,
    most important thing, and the one best thing you can do at home,imho, and the one thing way too many don't even know about is monitor calibration.
    i use a colorvision spyder, comes with it's own software and is really easy to set up, i even have it automatically reminding me every 30 days that the monitor is now due to be calibrated, takes all of 10 minutes to do, has a 1 click choice menu at the end to make it the current default monitor profile, and that's all the color spaceing i do
    i don't even print much of my own stuff anymore, it's not worth buying the inks and glossy paper, esp since i only make about 6-10, 8x10 a year, and maybe 1 -2 larger, i just take it out to a discount place, although the local walmart here does a crap job, i have to go a little further than i used to, just burn a max quality jpeg, in as shot resolution to cd and away i go
    and it seems to work, a number of my prints have placed in competitions, i even once won grand prize, all done this way
    gary

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i almost always use adobe rgb 1998

4. romar00

romar00 Member

I have also read a lot of books and material on color management. I think it’s the most complex part of digital photography. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014