DNG and Lightroom 3.0

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by haunteddoc, Nov 10, 2010.

1. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

I am very confused, a constant state lately, and hopefully someone can set me straight.

I know that when you import a raw file into LR that metadata is written into an XMP sidecar file if you have that option checked in preferences. ; If I understand the advantage of DNG files, the metadata, develop settings etc are written directly to the file without the need for a sidecar file. ; So, is the metadata written to the DNG file only if you have the XMP option checked or does that option become meaningless if you are using DNG files? ; Please, someone show me the light!

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i know that photoshop's camera raw gives you the option to have the edits written to a central raw file database which eliminates the need for sidecar files. ; not sure about LR since i don't use it. ;

3. gary

gary Member

i use and love lightroom, recently upgraded from 2.7 to 3.2, and yes, if you set your import parameters as copy as dng this eliminates the sidecar file. i really wish dng would become the standard raw format worldwide, much like jpeg is a cross platform world standard. this would eliminate the need to buy programs that recognize different cameras with all those unecessary proprietary formats, cr2, nef, etc. dng gives all the advantages of raw, except the files are slightly smaller. as it is, i cannot believe how large the 5dmk2 raws are converted to dng, i no longer can fit many onto a dvd for backup, now we need a larger dvd format

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Blu-Ray.

5. gary

gary Member

aren't those burners and discs still expensive?

6. HW

HW Member

7. Roger

Newegg has the internals for just over $100 now. ; Fry's has been advertising an internal one from Liteon for $80.

Newegg also has the generic BD-Rs (25GB) for $1 each in a 25 pack....so while the "big" stores are still overpricing it, it's almost down to the price DVD burners were a few years ago. ; More and more new Windows PCs (desktop & laptops) are coming with them preinstalled.

8. Paul

Paul Member

can you play BluRay movies on these?

9. Roger

Paul, you may be able to if your monitor supports HDCP.