Feb 2007 North Tower of the Contemporary

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by Craig, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

We were at the Contemporary in February while they are doing the construction at the north wing. I thought this could be an interesting shot that I won't be able to get again.

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

so.... maybe the DVC contemporary rumors are in motion?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

4. Craig

update: June 2007 North Tower of the Contemporary

June 2007. The old building is completely gone and cleaned up. It looks like they are in the first stages to start the new building.

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

5. Tim

curious to note how much they filled in toward the water... it extends way further out than it used to in that area.

6. Craig

actually, I dont think they have filled in, I think the picture is just too cropped. Here are two more. the first is from August 2006, when we walked around the north wing and took a lot of pictures, in case the rumours were true. that is me standing under the same group of trees that I circled in the picture from June 2007.
    It does look to me though, like they scraped the ground flat, and got rid of all the elevation. if you look at the first picture the beach is about a foot lower than the grass, and we were walking uphill to get back to the building.
    Also, is it a coinincdence or are is there a defininte pattern in the new photo that looks like a U, just like the photo that turned up on the internet last year for one day?

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

7. nzam

nzam Member

Not a coincidence. I think it's definitely DVC. Seems like I saw the drawing again (that appeared for one day) but go figure, I can't find it.

8. Craig

here it is in August 2007

9. biblioadonis

biblioadonis Member

The first shot is so violent and angry...it looks like there is an attack going on!

10. Craig

October 2007.

11. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I just seems like this is moving so, so slowly. Impatient fans want to see progress

12. goofy101

goofy101 Member

Im impressed, the sites a lot bigger than I imagined

13. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

The beginning stages of building construction always seem to move slowly, but now that it looks like most of the foundation and ground stabilization are done, things will begin to move along now. We should be able to start seeing "progress" soon. :)

14. Craig

Re: December 2007 North Tower of the Contemporary

Here it is in December 2007. This stage of construction moves really fast. It will look like a building very soon!

15. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

That's so cool - I enjoyed seeing the progress. Thanks for sharing!

16. Tim

that is going to be one tough ticket if it goes DVC as rumored. i can't wait... probably the only chance i'll ever have of staying at the contemp.

17. Craig

Orlando Sentinel article on rumoured DVC at Contemporary

Here is an article published in the Orlando Sentinel that has found more proof about the rumoured Contemporary DVC and some insight about the DVC in general.

Orlando Sentinel.com article

18. Tim

that's probably been the "worst" kept disney secret ;)

19. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Nah, that was DCA's $1 billion dollar makeover. Everyone knew about it before the announcement date, which heck, even the announced plans have already changed!

It's probably about as secret as DAK's Australia land.

20. Craig

North building at the Contemporary Feb 2008

So, here we are one year later from demolition. Now, it really is taking shape. To watch the construction during a visit, it seems like they are adding a floor every couple of days. In one of the photos, you can see the structure being made for the bridge to connect to the main building. Also, I have a detail photo showing the lobby in the center of the building, and the car port at the far end of the building.