Help please

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by lightslicer, Dec 5, 2013.

1. lightslicer

lightslicer Member

Okay- I got about a grand to invest in moving up from my bridge camera...I have decided on the Canon SL100D-
    I know this is a step down for all of you out there- but I need some help with picking a another lens to go with it? Its scary-I really havent a clue what EF means and why they have all those numbers......Thanks for all your shared knowledge...in advance- I am trying to learn.....

Peg who is pondering a new camera....but should be buying a new stove- lol

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

B&H has a really good deal on it right now, for $700 you can get the camera and two lenses:

; ; EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens
    ; ; EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Lens

Basically you have your standard zoom lens and a telephoto lens in this kit.

EF-S means it can only work on a crop sensor camera.
    The IS means that it has image stabilization on the lens (note the telephoto in the kit doesn't have it)
    STM is the new Canon Stepper motor, which is designed for video. ; That doesn't mean it isn't also designed for still photography, it's just optimized for video AF. ; Basically it's better in video than non-STM lenses.

3. lightslicer

lightslicer Member

thanks so much Roger!- got my cart loaded- question is when ya'll buy from B & H do you get the drops and spills protection?? Just wondering....also- have a friend whose husband passed he had an older Canon film camera- will any of those lenses fit this camera? ; just wondering about that- non of her kids are interested in the camera/lens....

Peg

4. lightslicer

lightslicer Member

Another question- will this camera shoot Macro- or do I need another lens...what about any filters...
    Thanks so much- for your sharing your knowledge ; :)

5. Roger

I'm assuming that it is a manual focus only camera? ; If so, no - the lenses won't work nor will they fit. ; If it's an older autofocus camera then probably. ; (there was a small batch of autofocus lenses for the old mount)

6. Roger

No they won't do "macro". ; The closest they get is 1:4. ; True macro is 1:1. ; What that means is at the closest point, the item the size of a penny will be 1/4 the size on the sensor. ; So it will be able to do flowers where the flower fills the frame, but don't expect to only have the stamen in the picture.

As for filters, I'm on the no filter camp. ; The only filters I would recommend would be a protective filter (if you think you need it), ND filters for certain daytime and nighttime pictures on a tripod, and maybe a circular polarizer. ; The latter hasn't been used as much as it was during the film age, before photoshop. ; It acts like a ND filter a little but is used for eliminating reflections off bright objects like glass and water.