High Pass Sharpening

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by Hockeyman, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Hockeyman

Hockeyman Member

Was checking out the high pass sharpening tutorial in the post processing articles and figured I would give it a try in Photoshop. I usually do most of my PP using LR and hardly ever open PS but may have to change that now lol.

Here is the finished picture I originally PP using LR. A 5 shot HDR that I made from a single image.

[​IMG]
    DSC00235_-2_-3_-4_-5_fused-Edit-3 by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Here is the same shot that I ran thru high pass in PS. Really a noticeable difference, although this one might be a little over done. What do you think? ; ;

[​IMG]
    To Infinity and Beyond by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I think its a bit oversharpened. ; Try running your sharpening on a duplicate layer and dropping the opacity to about 50%. ; It really doesn't take much.

3. Hockeyman

Hockeyman Member

4. Tim

Yes, that one is MUCH better. ; Nice job.

5. Hockeyman

Hockeyman Member

Thanks Tim ; :)

Now is there any benefits in doing it this was versus in Lightroom? I noticed it doesn't get as noisy as it would have in LR.

6. Tim

I do everything in PhotoShop so I can't really answer that for you; but you did notice less noise so if that's an indicator...

7. Hockeyman

Hockeyman Member

So, ive been using this high pass technique since I first tried it a few weeks ago and love it. Im actually able to increase the sharpness without increasing the noise for the most part. I've gone back and ran some older shots thru and its amazing how much it adds to the shot and how dull the previous one was.