It's happening again

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by PolynesianMedic, Dec 17, 2008.

1. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Ok, I had been having a problem with images getting corrupted when using the cord to download them to my computer, and i stopped that and all was fine. I just went to unload my camera after just unloading my wife's (no problems there), and this is what I got:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, what happened this time? I took the card from the camera and was using the computer's built in card reader. I had just done this same thing with my wife's Memory Stick Duo, with no problems. Is this a sign that it is time again for a new CF card? This one isn't a year old.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. goofy101

goofy101 Member

I have had this problem before Jeff, my problem was a corrupt card and there was nothing i could do to right it so i bit the bullet throw it away and bought a new one.

3. PolynesianMedic

I was thinking that was the problem, but I have only had this card for 6 months or so, and everything has been fine. Oh well, there went all of the christmas tree hunt photo's and everything. That really sucks

4. mSummers

mSummers Member

Do you have another card reader that you could try the card in? Since you've had two of them go bad so close together, it might be a good idea to rule out the built in reader as the problem.

5. PolynesianMedic

Can the reader cause the cards to go bad?

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

negative knowledge about that but the reader itself may be on the fritz.
    rule out the constant first...

7. mSummers

mSummers Member

I don't know if the reader could ruin the card either.

8. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Yes the reader could ruin the card but it would involve either a reformat or delete of at least one item on the card.

But like the others said, try another card reader first. If the problem is still there, it's probably the card.

9. PolynesianMedic

Ok, thought I would post a little update on this silly thing. I took the machine to Firedog since I have the extended warranty, and the wife was insisting on it. They claim nothing is wrong, and can't figure out why I got those images other than the card is bad, even though I know the card is ok, because I have downloaded images through the camera to another PC and the test images are all find. So, I bought a new external card reader to "replace" the internal one on the machine. I'll see what happens with these next batch of images. By the way, on a slightly different note, but related. I have never dealt with a more inept bunch of people in my life. The folks at the Firedog site in the Brick Circuit City, are a bunch of strange folks. They wouldn't answer the phone, and when I did speak to them, (I had to go into the store) I had more and better ideas on what to check then they did. I have a little bit of a problem with that, as they are supposed to be the "experts". I had such a crummy experience, that I am in the process of writing a complaint letter in regards to the poor customer service that I received.

10. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I guess good, although...

Which is 100% wrong because...

I assume you meant fine.

Occam's razor. Since the images are fine on another PC, that rules out the card. Which leaves only the card reader in the PC.

I will be very surprised if they still have a problem. (Because if they do, you have a software issue on your PC)

Make sure you wait to include what happens with the new card reader assuming that it works fine. Is this a chassis built in or like a 3.5" drive swapout?

11. PolynesianMedic

a simple swap out. It is a "bay" on the top of the machine in front. HP was going to send me one a while back but the silly stuff the guy had me doing while on the phone with him, reseating the wire, brought the card reader back online.

12. mSummers

mSummers Member

Poly, did you get the card reader problem resolved?

13. PolynesianMedic

I think so, I bought one and added it to the machine. It is an external reader and I have uploaded some photo's on it without a problem. Firedog, insisted that there wasn't a problem, but couldn't explain the corrupted images. I have some other photo's to upload a little later, so I will see again, if the problem seems to be resolved. Thanks for asking.