Mac vs PC

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by drcookies, Nov 15, 2006.

1. drcookies

drcookies Member

I have been using PC's with Windows for a long time. I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 for my editing and sorting of photos. I have seen the new iMacs (especially that 24 inch Core Duo 2!). I was just wondering what people's preferences were and if they thought that an iMac is a good investment since it can run both Windows and OSX Tiger. Also, any opinions on iPhoto if you use a Mac? Thanks!

2. DisneyDame

DisneyDame Member

DrCookies,
    I've been a Mac user for almost 20 years now, while my husband is a PC guy. On the plus side for Macs, they generally last longer, have fewer problems, and are better integrated for ease of use. On the negative side, if they do fail, they usually do so quite spectacularly and completely, at least they have in my experience.

iPhoto is a fairly simple to use program for importing photos from your camera, organizing them into albums, and doing some editing. I don't have the most up-to-date version (my iMac is currently going on 5 years old but still working well, knock on wood), but the version I have has a nice and easy red-eye correction, brightness/contrast, an auto-enhance that works so-so, crop, rotate, and a simple retouch brush. It also has convert to b&w and sepia. My version also doesn't import any video shot on the camera, which is annoying to have to go to another program to save those.

I took a look at Apple's site to see the most recent version, and it looks like they have added significantly more features to the program, especially in the editing capabilities. (hmmm.... Dear Santa, I've been very good this year.....)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. gary

gary Member

i'm a windows/ photoshop elements 3.0 man myself, however when the time comes next year i may switch to apple, simply because i was over a friends house the other night and he was editing on a 30" apple cinema display, just takes your breath away how those photos look on that
    hard to leave windows though because i rebuild every 2 years at much lower cost than most, nephew is it systems repairman for a large school district in pennsylvania and always does my rebuilds and tels me what to buy, and does my assembly and bench tests for free
    gary

4. Dan

Dan Member

You can use the apple Cinema Displays on a PC. They just use DVI connections. I'm using the Dell 2007WFP, a fairly popular consumer monitor for image editing. Its precurser used the same panel as the 20 inch Apple Cinema Display. Except it cost half as much, had a better performing backlight, and had analog inputs and features like picture in picture as well. The 2007WFP uses a slightly different panel, but it's still a good one.
    Oh, also the price tag on that 30 inch Cinema Display would take your breath away too. And stop your heart.

I'm a PC user from way back, I literally grew up with an 8088. I really see no reason for a PC user to switch over to Macs. They cost more and are less flexible and upgradable. Also you have access to far fewer options in software.. unless you only have need of the stuff that's already out for Macs. And as for the reliability claims.. I took a course in Photoshop once, and of course it was taught with Macs. They still crashed, more often than my PC in fact. However they crashed with a cute little bomb symbol.

The most charitable thing I can say is that it's probably a matter of staying with what you're used to. Mac users are used to the Mac way of doing things, PC users are used to the MS way.

5. dawholagn

dawholagn Member

I'm a PC guy; but will most likely put a Mac through it's paces withing the next year or two to find out for myself if there are any advantages worth migrating for. To be honest; I hope to be happily surprised, just for the fact that I'mm looking for something new to explore.

6. I'm a PC gal. It's cheaper (or better if you spend the same amount of $$), and I usually can get the programs at cost.

Regardless of platform, the number one thing people tend to scrimp on is monitor calibration. Never do that. High end computer, high end display, they all mean nothing if they're not calibrated properly.

7. mcpaul

mcpaul Member

Dedicated PC guy me. However, I have a close friend who does Photoshop work professionally and she chose an iMac this time - because of the extra functionality and later software it gave her. Dual boot was the final straw for her. That said, still a PC man myself!!!

8. HW

HW Member

I build my own computers so it is PC for me.

9. Out of curiosity, if I want to change back to Mac, does it mean I have to re-buy all the plugins for mac or Mac's Photoshop uses the same plugin as PC's Photoshop? Because if I have to re-buy all the plugins I use I have to spend an additional $2,000 for the plugins alone.

PS: right now I'm contemplating in getting Mac for Photoshop CS3.

10. HW

HW Member

I looked on alien skins site and they have different plugin downloads for mac or pc.. I may be wrong but from what I know software written for windows will not work on macs and same with mac software on windows as each OS is completely different from the other

11. oh well, I guess I have to stick with PC then. There's no way I'm spending money on a new platform AND new set of plugins. ;D

12. mcpaul

mcpaul Member

If you run under Windows on the Mac, then no. However, if you are thinking CS3 on Mac, then yes. Might make the decision for you!