Monopod Question

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by mSummers, Feb 7, 2011.

1. mSummers

mSummers Member

I've been looking at monopods for my 200-400 and I'm trying to decide if I need to get one with a head or not. ; I have seen monopods used without any type of head but I've also seen them with a head that tilts up and down. ; Is a monopod head really that useful?

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i don't have one. ; my wedding monopod has an adapter that the camera bracket fits into, but my other one is a primo's shooting stick. ; look for it at an outdoors/hunting store. ; you'll love it.

CHECK THIS LINK

reason i like it is that it's SOLID, has a twist release for the lower leg but a squeeze release for the upper portion, so raising and lowering it is simple. ; it is so worth the money.

3. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I've never seriously considered one. ; Most of my monopod shooting has been with long lenses at auto races, where horizontal movement is more important than vertical. ; With a telephoto, a few degrees of tilt can make a big difference in elevation. ; Too bad you can't rent one to try it out.

4. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

I would never recommend a ball head, or even possibly a wimberley, on a monopod for such a large lens. However, if your subject is static you may be able to get a way with using one. It is just way to easy for the lens to flop over with the ball head. Use the tripod collar for the lens and mount it directly to the monopod. You can always try renting a ball head and or a wimberley before you buy.

5. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I loved using my monopod with a tilt-only head at Disneyland Fantasmic! ; Of course the best seats were the edge of the "standing" area, so you have an unobstructed view of the Rivers of America/Island. ; Years of shooting with the 200/2.8L and film made me understand the need for it - allows you to have better shots in the days before IS.

I still have a monopod but it's getting used as much anymore. ; I built the new tilt head from the instructions at RRS' website.

6. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks for the tips guys. ; Dennis made a good point. ; Right now, I'm only planning to use it for some train shots on a couple of my trips this year, so I really don't need the tilt features yet. ; I think I'm just going to get the monopod with a lever release clamp since I can always add the tilt head later if I decide I need it.

7. ELinder

ELinder Member

I have this one on my monopod. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554098-REG/Manfrotto_234RC_234RC_Swivel_Tilt_Head_for.html/BI/1824/KBID/2466

Granted, i've only used it a few times, but it was very useful. It allowed me to keep the monopod close in to me in a vertical position, instead of moving the foot around to get the right angle. That let me keep a good tight yet comfortable grip on the monopod, which I think would be especially important for a large long lens like your 200-400, not only for security, but to help keep your hand from straining on a longer shoot with it.

Erich

8. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Erich... do youknow if thatvusesthe QR15 plate (does not specify in ad). ; I only ask because I use a Manfrotto pistol grip and world be nice to use one plate for both mono- and tripod. ; Any info is appreciated.

brought to you by an (HTC) "Incredible" Guy.

9. Roger

Red, it uses the standard Manfrotto plate - I have that head as well, although I took it's non-QR sister apart to make it an Arca-Swiss.

10. ELinder

ELinder Member

Like Roger said, it uses the only kind of Manfrotto plate I've ever seen. Same one as on my 322RC2 and 498RC2. I didn't know Manfrotto made another kind of quick release.

Erich

11. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

There was one at B&H that "looked" a little different (maybe it was just a bad photo ; ::) ) which is why I asked. ; If Manfrotto uses the same plate for everything then I don't have to worry. ; I am going to see how I get along without using the head on my new monopod on my upcoming trip (9 days away ; ;D ) and go from there.

12. Roger

They make like a hexagon one.

13. RocketTom

RocketTom Member

I've used that Manfrotto head with no complaints at all. (Just don't use it that much...)

14. RocketTom

RocketTom Member

And a monopod is good for other things as well. I'll put a Justin Clamp on the "top", secure a speed light and umbrella to the clamp, then have my V.A.L. (Voice Activated Lightstand - aka: my son) hold it high and in front of a subject to give a nice soft flash.

I've also taken to use it to get very high shots (shutter delay, then fully extended above my head). It's good for more than muscle relief on a big gun. ; ::)

15. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I just learned the high-shot technique this summer. ; I really need to try it at WDW. ; To make things easier, I just bought a cable-release extension so I don't have to rely on the self- timer.

[​IMG]

16. ELinder

ELinder Member

I've done the same thing with a cabled release. I took it into One Man's Dream to take a bunch of photos of the Nautilus hanging from the ceiling. It got real heavy after a while, what with the SB-600 flash and big lens. Also got a few strange looks from the cast member just around the corner, but he never said a single word to me.

Erich

17. RocketTom

RocketTom Member

I'll hoist with a tripod, but a monopod is a lot easier to haul/handle. I used to do the cable release, but found it was just that much more to handle. That, and a 3' cable for a 5' monopod - well........ ; ;)

[​IMG]

From DL a few years ago, still one of my favorites.