New free file sharing- Dropbox

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by Tim, May 8, 2010.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Just wanted to let you know about a new file sharing/storage service that I just found out about: ; dropbox. You get 2gb free storage off the bat, but if you ask me I will send you a referral link that will get you another 250mb free. ; Send me a pm with an email addy and I will send you the referral. ; There is an iPhone app which keeps your desktop, the dropbox website, and iPhone all in sync at all times. ;

Here are some more features:
    Dropbox Features

File Sync
    Dropbox allows you to sync your files online and across your computers automatically.

2GB of online storage for free, with up to 100GB available to paying customers.
    Sync files of any size or type.
    Sync Windows, Mac and Linux computers.
    Automatically syncs when new files or changes are detected.
    Work on files in your Dropbox even if you're offline. Your changes sync once your computer has an Internet connection again.
    Dropbox transfers will correctly resume where they left off if the connection drops.
    Efficient sync - only the pieces of a file that changed (not the whole file) are synced. This saves you time.
    Doesn't hog your Internet connection. You can manually set bandwidth limits.
    File Sharing
    Sharing files is simple and can be done with only a few clicks.

Shared folders allow several people to collaborate on a set of files.
    You can see other people's changes instantly.
    A "Public" folder that lets you link directly to files in your Dropbox.
    Control who is able to access shared folders (including ability to kick people out and remove the shared files from their computers).
    Automatically create shareable online photo galleries from folders of photos in your Dropbox.
    Online Backup
    Dropbox backs up your files online without you having to think about it.

Automatic backup of your files.
    Undelete files and folders.
    Restore previous versions of your files.
    30 days of undo history, with unlimited undo available as a paid option.
    Web Access
    A copy of your files are stored on Dropbox's secure servers. This lets you access them from any computer or mobile device.

Manipulate files as you would on your desktop - add, edit, delete, rename etc.
    Search your entire Dropbox for files.
    A "Recent Events" feed that shows you a summary of activity in your Dropbox.
    Create shared folders and invite people to them.
    Recover previous versions of any file or undelete deleted files.
    View photo galleries created automatically from photos in your Dropbox.
    Security & Privacy
    Dropbox takes the security and privacy of your files very seriously.

Shared folders are viewable only by people you invite.
    All transmission of file data and metadata occurs over an encrypted channel (SSL).
    All files stored on Dropbox servers are encrypted (AES-256) and are inaccessible without your account password.
    Dropbox website and client software have been hardened against attacks from hackers.
    Dropbox employees are not able to view any user's files.
    Online access to your files requires your username and password.
    Public files are only viewable by people who have a link to the file(s). Public folders are not browsable or searchable.
    Mobile Device Access
    The free Dropbox iPhone app lets you:

Access your Dropbox on the go.
    View your files on your iPhone or iPod Touch.
    Download files for offline viewing.
    Take photos and videos and sync them to your Dropbox.
    Share links to files in your Dropbox.
    View interactive photo galleries.
    Sync downloaded files so they're up-to-date.
    A mobile-optimized version of the website is available for owners of Blackberry phones and other Internet-capable mobile devices.

Send me pm's for referrals!

2. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

This looks handy ;)

3. goofy101

goofy101 Member

I been using this a while its a great program and the iPhone app works really well. Those who have Blackberry's, a BB app is going to be released very shortly.

4. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

YAY for the BB app. ; Now I just have to wait till I get home to access the site, cause I can't get it while I am at work.

5. Paul

Paul Member

Started using Drobox last week when I got my iPad and it is a nice tool to have, nice way to get content to the iPad and there is a specific version for the iPad. ; I use Dropbox to get my PDF e-books to the iPad.

6. Dan

Dan Member

Looks interesting, but as I'm always suspicious of free services like this I checked out their terms of service..

In their tour they talk about using their service for backup purposes.

In their terms of service they say you can't trust them for backup purposes at all:

"You acknowledge and agree that you should not rely on the Site, Content, Files and Services for any reason. You further acknowledge and agree that you are solely responsible for maintaining and protecting all data and information that is stored, retrieved or otherwise processed by the Site, Content, Files or Services"

When the fine print directly contradicts the marketing message I start to get a little concerned.

I was never planning to use it for backup purposes, though, so.. I can still make use of it. ; I've currently got a rather large set of files that weighs in at a bit under 2 gigabytes that I want to share with some friends. ; It's rather convenient that this comes along right when I need it.

7. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I carry my netbook with me now where ever I go, this is a great way for me to keep files updated between my machine at home, and me at work or where ever I am. ; Thanks for the site Tim!

8. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I think anyone who uses a free service as their primary backup solution is probably asking for trouble and because it is free, Dropbox gets the luxury of putting those disclaimers into their ToS

9. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i am using it for convenience and not backup purposes. ;

10. Paul

Paul Member

I just tried using Dropbox to post an image and it worked fine. ; The image needs to be in your shared folder, once it is there, use the downward facing triangle at your Dropbox web site account to ; "copy public link" & this is what you use for the image posting link at TMIP. ; Just another option.

There is also a nice discussion here on how you can publish from Lightroom to your Dropbox:
    http://lightroom-blog.com/2010/08/more-dropbox-tips.html

And if Tim has exhausted his referrals, PM me for my referral link. ; ;)

11. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

i've been using the dropbox program a lot lately. it works great!

12. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Me too. ; It's now my preferred method to move files between computers.

13. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Havent' tried it myself yet, but having taken advantage of Craig's generous music files, it seems like a pretty nifty tool. ; I can see how moving files between computers could be really convenient with this - as mentioned, from the Netbook to desktop without having to use USB flash drives (of which I only have little 512GB ones)...and for occasional file sharing of bulkier items.

14. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

little ones? ; (I know, typo, ; G should be M, but still.... ; :D )

15. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Hey, 512GB is little in my world. ; I live in exabytes! ; My desktop is 500EB! ; Puny little 512GB flash drives...

(ah, yeah...typo...should have been M).