New Online Photo Printing Service

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by mSummers, Jul 28, 2009.

1. mSummers

mSummers Member

I was reading Scott Kelby's Blog last Thursday and saw a post about a new printing service called MpixPro. ; If that name sounds familiar, its because Mpix has been around for a while and Scott Kelby and a couple of others have talked about how great it is. ; Mpix is a division of Miller's Professional Imaging, which is the largest professional photography lab in the United States. ; Now the've started MpixPro, which is geared to the professional photographer and offers a larger line of printing services than the regular Mpix. ;

I've been looking for a new printing service for a couple of months now because I've had trouble finding one that I liked. ; The part that sold me on signing up for MpixPro is the fact that they do not make any color corrections to your images. ; Over the past three years I've tried two different online printing companies. ; The first one I tried did make color corrections and I wasn't happy with the results. ; The second one didn't make corrections at first, but then changed their policy and started doing so. ;

MpixPro does something that I haven't seen other printers offer. ; After you sign up for an account but before you can order any prints, they have you upload five images sized to 8x10 at 300dpi, which they print and send to you for free so you can compare them to how they look on your monitor. ; This allows you to adjust your monitor to show exactly what was printed. ; I calibrate my monitor with an Xrite Eye One Display 2 calibrator and the prints came back absolutely perfect, requiring no changes to my calibration at all. ;

What I wasn't expecting was the nice welcome packet that they sent along with the prints. ; (sorry, I didn't think to photograph it until after I opened it)

[​IMG]

Along with my five 8x10's, they sent their product catalog, a swatch book of all of their paper options and a sheet showing where to go on their website to learn more about calibrating your monitor if the prints didn't match perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They also have a JAVA based ordering program called Mpix ROES which has a great user interface and is very easy to use. ;

[​IMG]

Anyway, I'm very happy with the quality of the prints from MpixPro so I thought I'd share my experience in case anyone is looking for a good online printer. ; ;

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Thanks for sharing Michael. ; I believe that Mpix is the preferred provider for Zenfolio.

3. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Correct you are Roger. I have been speaking to people who have placed orders from me & they have all given Very Positive feedback. The quality is excellent. As Michael stated, they have a large variety of products to offer. Some of these, beside prints, include: Canvas Gallery Wraps, Cutouts, Wall Clings, Puzzles, Greeting Cards, Tickets, Trading Cards. There is much more than this, but I just wanted to mention a few of the offerings.