New Toy Hopefully in Time for Pixelmania

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by zackiedawg, Nov 9, 2017.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I put in a pre-order for the new Sigma 16mm F1.4 prime for Sony E-mount...it's supposed to start shipping Nov 22, assuming no delays, so I hope to have it for Pixelmania. It will be nice to finally have something wider and fast for dark rides and walkaround - up to now, my widest has been 30mm F1.4, which on APS-C is still pretty tight. The 16mm will be a nice standard wide 24mm equivalent, and Sigma's latest batches of lenses have been quite sharp and good...so hopefully this one will too! For $449 it seemed a very reasonable price.

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/16mm-f1-4-dc-dn-c

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

It seems Sigma is focusing a lot of their attention on the APS-C market. I really wanted that 16-35 f/1.8 but it doesn't come in full-frame and I can't use EF-S mount lenses.

3. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I think they may be debuting some FE lenses next year - all the rumors have been pointing towards it - and it is a growing market. 16-35mm would be nice on full frame - for the crop body though, I'm definitely getting a little tired of my only fast prime choices being in the 45mm or longer equivalent. Finally, a 24mm equivalent fast prime will be great for dark ride and for just scenic handhelds at night - and it should be very good stopped down too for long-exposures.

4. gary

gary Member

the sony community is putting a lot of internet pressure on sigma to bring out some art primes in 1.4 and 1.8 apertures for the full frame camera bodies, from what i read it's mostly engineering the flange distances without too much optic changes needed since they already exist in canon and nikon mounts