Nikon goes FX retro with the DF: 16mp, ISO up to 204,800, 5.5 fps

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Roger, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Oh, it will also accept Non-AI lenses. ; Natively.

I guess the old lenses would look better than the modern gold ring lenses....

3. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

It does have a cool look to it!

4. ELinder

ELinder Member

The one thing I was hoping for was an old school type split prism focus viewfinder for manual focus. Apparently a lot of others that would consider this kind of camera are also disappointed it doesn't have it. I think Nikon just shot themselves in the foot.

Erich

5. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I'm with Erich. ; That's my biggest complaint about modern SLRs. ; I have an aftermarket split/micro-prism screen in my D300, but they don't make one for my D700.

The big plus I see is a reasonable sensor size. ; 24 and 36 megapixels are way too much. ; But it does beg the question that I asked before I went digital: ; What is the resolution of Kodachrome 25?

Also: ; No CF support? ; Come on, make it a serious camera, not a toy.

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

7. I thought this article was very interesting:
    http://fstoppers.com/the-nikon-df-represents-everything-wrong-with-photography

I especially liked this quote from the article: "When I saw a picture of this camera being used with a physical shutter release cable it was proof that my theory was correct: so many people don’t care about pictures anymore, they just want to be “photographers.â€Â

8. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

I absolutely love this camera! It looks like so much fun!

I looked at that article too Joanie, and came to this conclusion, the author is a douchebag guilty of what he is accusing others of.

Of course this camera isn't going to make you take better pictures. Or look cool; only another photographer would even notice anything other than its bigger than an iPhone.
    judging by the authors photo, he is young, has never held an old camera, and thus has no appreciation of what he is currently holding.

The camera looks so fun, this is what I learned on.

9. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

It's kind of cool looking to me - though I'm not much interested in it. ; Though it's going for the cool/trendy retro look, there is something to be said for those dial type controls on top of the body - they DO work, easily and nicely, and allow very fast settings changes with easy visual verification. ; And despite the article's criticism of the plunger-style shutter cable, I have to say I've always found those to be super-reliable and easy to use, and wouldn't mind if every camera made was compatible with them. ; While I use both electronic wired remotes and IR remotes on my cameras, I can say I've had occasional problems with both - my electronic wired remotes have gone wonky before where I really had to wiggle the connection to get it to respond, and my IR has run out of batteries before. ; I personally would love to have a cable stuffed down in my bag that I could whip out in an emergency when other remotes end up dying or failing, and simply screw it into a hole on the shutter button, and have it work - no matter what - no batteries, no connection issues to worry about - it can sit for decades and still come out working perfectly! ; I've used those since the '70s - and never had a problem with one. ; Still have two in my camera closet, if I ever had a camera that could use them again.

10. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I still have a pneumatic 25-foot remote release that would look cool with this. ; Just the thing for bulb mode.

I like the fact that it goes down to 100 ISO. ; I think this is the first recent Nikon SLR to go that low. ; I also find it interesting that the shutter speed dial only goes to four seconds, whereas most Nikons go to 30.

The other cool retro feature is T exposure mode, which will be popular with astrophotographers and others making extremely long exposures. ; (In T mode, you press the shutter release once to open the shutter, and press it again to close the shutter.)

But I think I'll stick with my D700. ; If I had $3000 to spend on a body, I'd put it towards a refurbished D3S.