NYBG HOLIDAY TRAIN SHOW

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by gary, Dec 23, 2017.

1. gary

gary Member

the new york botanical garden holiday train show, in the enid haupt conservatory. a display of ny landmarks, made of garden materials.such as twigs and pinecones, with G scale trains (germany pavilion sized) running throughout, i had started to add these to my other botanical garden thread but decided this show deserved it's own moment in the spotlight so today i redid the post. this is well worth the time for anyone living within a reasonable drive of the ny metro area, we went in 3 carloads of extended family, with several children in tow. great day, nice weather, and as a member i was able to take advantage of the early member entry
    here is the man whose company and his creative genius are behind this show

[​IMG]

this year he did a completely new model of the enid haupt conservatory, in which the train show and my prior orchid show photos are from

[​IMG]

some of the detail note the all natural materials

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Chernabog1940 likes this.
  2. gary

gary Member

pennsylvania station, the original, the one that should never have been torn down, damm developers, as an aside we came a hair away from losing grand central for the same reasons, "oh no one takes trains anymore" only saved by the efforts of jacqueline kennedy onassis and a few other influential civic minded individuals. when they are lovingly cared for, and made a civic showpiece, in my mind there are no finer magnificent municipal edifices than a grand monumental style train station. thankfully the farley post office across the street from the location and a companion in design, made to match the old penn station, is being preserved and fully renovated to have a grand train concourse for the long island railroad, to eventually replace that dingy cave of a waiting area
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

in my opinion, the coolest electric locomotive design ever, the pennsylvania railroad GG-1, designed to haul heavyweight pullman coach and parlor cars between new york and washington dc, and out the keystone line to harrisburg, at 110 mph, these are huge and just a classic design in real life, you look at these, and in my mind they just scream out high speed luxury train travel.
    [​IMG]

now i'm not sure just which interlocking tower this is, but we can view it as a generic penn rr tower, much like the still existing and in use harold interlocking at the junction of sunny side yard and the lirr to the tunnels to penn station
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  3. gary

gary Member

[​IMG]

and the details
    [​IMG]

and for tim, who asked me about the various model scale sizes
    [​IMG]

4. gary

gary Member

[​IMG]

there was even a yankee stadium, original issue of course

[​IMG]

and the cyclone from coney island

[​IMG]

5. gary

gary Member

and there was this famous landmark
    [​IMG]

and the metropolitan museum of art
    [​IMG]

and what appears to be a new haven budd rdc car going over the hells gate bridge, something what would have been a real thing

[​IMG]

6. gary

gary Member

and basic row houses
    [​IMG]

and trains running in and out of everywhere
    [​IMG]

and it is amazing how many people do not even know this exists, the little red lighthouse, on the eastern shore of the hudson, right between the towers of the george washington bridge. i hope next spring to be able to do a sunny day into ny and do the circle line tour of manhattan, something i also haven't done in probably 30 years, and get the nice shot of this landmark
    [​IMG]

7. gary

gary Member

and i just realized i never finished this thread, so i am getting down to some photo work, getting ready for the nicer weather that will some day come
    so of course you need another ny landmark, jfk airport, originally known as idlewild airport, and here we have a slightly broken concorde, just too expensive to operate to be a real success.
    [​IMG]

and a rather insectoid looking 747

[​IMG]

and of course st patrick's cathedral
    [​IMG]

and a badly photographed backlit queensboro bridge
    [​IMG]

and how many new yorkers here, or the architectuarly knowledgeable, who can identify that famous ny landmark in the back on the left side

[​IMG]

Joanie Eddis-Koch likes this.
  8. Oh for Chrys sakes... that's a tough one!
    ~J

jbwolffiv likes this.
  9. gary

gary Member

nice word play

Joanie Eddis-Koch likes this.
  10. gary

gary Member

let's finish up with the last few from the train show

[​IMG]

and a very interesting take on a train

[​IMG]

and the world famous apollo theater

[​IMG]

everything, and i do mean everything made of garden materials

[​IMG]

and a garden bug type thing outside in the children's area, we took a walk to this as it was such a nice day

[​IMG]