Oh my

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by lightslicer, Dec 6, 2013.

1. lightslicer

lightslicer Member

So I go to get the paper this morning at the Hampton Inn we are staying at- is it a sign...There is a best buy flyer- with mickey Mouse on the front- Capture Magical Memories....with Nikon. So now I have to decide if its the Canon S1- or the Nikon 3200 or 5200....any pros or cons...I really want some "crisp" pictures.......Any thoughts....

Peg

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

The SL 1 is the world's smallest mirrored interchangeable lens camera. ; It's as small as you can get without going mirrorless (which is the future).

The 5200 is larger but still small. However it has a 24mp sensor v. the 18mp on the SL 1. ; Do you need the extra 33% pixels? ; I don't know. ;

More pixel advantages:
    Greater crop flexibility
    Images look better downsized for web viewing (even if they look worse zoomed at 100%)

Disadvantages:
    More memory needed and more hard drive space to store images
    Older lenses/consumer grade lenses won't resolve these larger pixel counts. ; I've seen this problem with semi-older lenses at even 16mp.

The 5200 costs more as well. ; The old differences between the brands are gone (Nikon used to use CCDs, while Canon used CMOS...now they both use CMOS) except Nikon still has the edge for all-in-one lenses but they cost more.

B&H kit that is currently out of stock for the 5200 can include a 18-140mm VR DX lens. ; This lens is a decent all in one lens that goes from slight wide angle to short telephoto without having to change lenses. ; Nikon also makes longer 18-200/300 lenses but they will cost more and exceed your budget. ; Nikon cameras are also compatible with many of their old manual focus lenses out of the box because they didn't change the lens mount like Canon did.

Nikon VR = Canon IS
    Nikon DX is similar to Canon EF-S. ; The only difference is that Nikon DX lenses can be mounted on a full frame camera; you just won't cover the entire sensor. ; Canon EF-S lenses can't be mounted on a full frame Canon camera without damaging the camera.