signs of spring

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by gary, Apr 20, 2007.

1. gary

gary Member

since we don't really have any flowers yet here, i thought i'd start this thread with some other sure signs of spring
    1. pepper, our 32 year old mare,the girl still has it, here she is in the sweet afternoon light, looking towards the boys, too bad they are all gelded
    2. another sure sign of spring, karen grading the farm road, john deere green, velvia action in a spray can
    3. barn cats catching some rays, the one on the right is the momma, named scary, the one on the left a daughter, named peanut, the other daughter is an all black lng hair named strawberry, not visible as she is inside the barn door, just out of sight

let's see some other sure signs of spring, does not have to be flowers or birds, ie. my spouse on the tractor, a sure spring sighting if there ever was

gary

2. HW

HW Member

nice looking horse. Yea finally some nice weather. I got cabin fever after a week of rain. Hopefully will have a few to post after Tim and I and of course Billy do our thing at Smithville and I get to try out the 50mm 1.8 finally

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Very pretty!

Our bluebonnets peak season was about three-four weeks ago.

4. HW

HW Member

finally some sunshine

5. HW

HW Member

1 more

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

good stuff, howie... where did you get it?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  7. HW

HW Member

thanx Tim where did I get what ?

8. Dan

Dan Member

Here's a fairly classic sign of spring. A duck chose the mulch beside my garage as her nesting site. You should understand I am not water adjacent, I live in a fairly typical suburban neighborhood. There are some small ponds in the area, of course, but it's not like I live on the edge of one.
    I had gotten all excited about this.. I had plans to follow the baby ducks after they hatched, to photograph them incessantly (what more photogenic subject can there be than cute, fluffy, downy duck chicks?). I was also intensely interested in following them when the mother takes them to water, I wanted to see the march of the ducks through my neighborhood.
    If you've paid close attention to my word choices here you might have gotten a sense of ominous foreshadowing.. and you'd be right.
    As of yesterday it appears that a scavenger found the nest. The mother was gone and two empty egg shells had been discarded beside the dug open nest (with at least three intact eggs remaining, which I never understood).
    Today the scavenger appears to have returned to mostly finish the job. There may be one intact egg remaining, but.. I don't think the mother is coming back, while I'm sure that the scavenger (I'm going to guess raccoon) will be.
    You know what? So be it. I won't be upset about this. That's what scavengers do. Our house was probably not the safest place for a nest. I had the chance to consider trying to save the remaining eggs and incubate them.. but then I'd have had to raise the remaining chicks, which would have been humanized and dependent for the rest of their lives. I'm in no position to raise and care for a bunch of baby ducks. And they're probably too common for any area animal conservation groups to be able to worry about them.
    So a local raccoon got an extra treat, and hopefully this mother duck will pick a better location for her nest next year. I am sorry I couldn't protect it.. but what could I have done? Any thing I can think of would have been likely to stress the mother and possibly cause her to abandon the nest anyway.

I will say that the mulch was a perfect location considering the female Mallard's camouflage.

I hope I didn't bring the mood down any. But, well.. it was The Lion King that made such a big deal out of the circle of life. The area is still probably loaded with eggs of all kinds, I should start watching the parks and such for an outpouring of adorable chicks.

9. HW

HW Member

nature can be what we perceive as cruel sometimes that's for sure.
    There is a Wildlife Sanctuary close to both Tim and I and now that the weather is finally getting nice I will be looking for the baby ducks and geese.
    oh and nice clear pic

10. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

pretty pictures everyone. I like your flowers HW, especially the one against the black mulch.

11. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Gary, I like your picture of the two cats. there is something very relaxing and calm about it

12. HW

HW Member

Thanx Craig

13. HW

HW Member

gull

14. Roger

You know Dan, now I'm going through something similar.

Not sure why or how (maybe our last storms knocked them out) but two baby mourning doves basically just appeared in front of our garage yesterday (Friday). A parent stopped by at times during the day but I haven't seen a parent since late Friday. One of them can fly and is gone.

The other is around the bushes next to the garage a few hours ago. Since it isn't a newborn, I'm hoping that it can eat solid food and I put some new hulled food out for it tonight. I know the doves will eat it - I've seen them actually land on my former feeder (which met it's demise due to some pesky squirrels and a 15 foot drop out of the tree) which wasn't designed for a dove....anyway. I'll post pics later.

15. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

Here's a few recent "spring" pics from me:

[​IMG]
    Just some butterfly hanging around ...

[​IMG]
    My youngest happy to finally having a chance to ride in his "car" outside ...

16. Dan

Dan Member

Ahh springtime, when all the baby polar bears are emerging from their dens to greet the bright new world.. Yes, I just drove out to my friendly neighborhood polar bear colony.. er.. zoo that has been a leader in breeding polar bears in captivity and has been heavily hyping their newest polar bear cub. The crowds were HUGE, I had to crop out the blurred outlines of people's heads in both of these shots. I've sworn that I will return soon, perhaps this week, in an attempt to get more time shooting the cub without having to worry about the teaming masses.
    Still images do not explain the unleashed adorableness that resides within that furry little package. As a general fan of all things furry and as a particular feline enthusiast I must admit that I was shocked at how charismatic that little bear was.
    Since still images are lacking I'm including a link to the zoo's web site, where they host some video of the cub.
    http://www.brookfieldzoo.org/pgpages/pagegen.346.aspx
    The videos are at the bottom of the page.

The word from the keepers is that they're very surprised at how fearless the cub is acting, traditionally they tend to be more shy. Which just adds to the bonanza for me, amateur photographer and videographer that I am. I just need to figure out a way to mount my camcorder to the side of my camera so I can use them both simultaneously.

17. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

too cute, dan. maybe sometime this year the warm weather will come to NJ for more than 1 day at a time.

18. Roger

I'll trade ya. The humidity is back, oh yes it is. To go along with thunderstorms, then heat.

19. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

After a long winter in upstate NY, the locals get out and burn some rubber!

[​IMG]

The ESTA Dragstrip is about 25 miles northeast of Syracuse and gives a safe and fun place for all ages to see how fast they can get their vehicles down a 1/4 mile. What I love about local sporting events is how close you can get. All pictures taken with my D70 and 18-200 VR zoom.

[​IMG]

A "vintage" 1970s Ford Maverick. ;D

[​IMG]

20. HW

HW Member

my oldest son and his family live in Clinton NY. I been up there 4 times and I never knew spring even existed there