Sleeping Beauty Castle (before and after)

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by Tim, May 23, 2008.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I really liked the composition of this shot from last summer (2007) in DL but I did not like the dark shadows on Walt and Mickey and the horrid pink color cast. So off to work in went in CS3 and I think I made the save... what say you? (after then before)

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I like the general look of the after, but it has a look of overprocessing to my eye on an uncalibrated monitor. Since it's the final output that counts. Did you just do the work in CS3 or ACR?

3. Tim

both actually... i took the final before product and tweaked it a bit. i might go back to the original .cr2 and play with it again. i do believe you were standing next to me when i took this?

4. Tim

BTW, the final after product looks much better full rez than it does resized for the forum

5. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Yeah I thought so. You should see what A2 can do with it.

6. Tim

don't have a mac, dude.

7. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Definite improvements overall, to the color especially. And the brightness of the statue is much better too.

I agree slightly - at least with the small version - that some bits of it look a bit processed - mostly where the brighter foreground objects lay against the castle background.

I'd suggest maybe keeping the statue the way it is (in the new better version!), and the background too, but darken down the low wall behind the statue, the garbage can, and the lapposts and hanging flowerpots. That might help the statue stand out nicely and tune down the brightness of stuff you don't need to see anyway.

8. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I think that it definitely looks better then the original.

9. Tim

Re: Sleeping Beauty Castle (before and after) - VERSION 2

here is another attempt at this... tried a few different things this time. opinions?

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

10. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

I definitely like the darker background better. the spires look a little oversharpened at the edge to me though, unless that's just because of websize.
    Walt's face is showing color artifacts, unless thats websize again.

I love the shot though. I would have been happy with just a little shadow highlight for myself. But thats what seperates you form the rest of us!

11. Tim

i think the color on his face is more of a chromatic aberration due to the relatively dark statue (MUCH darker than MK's version) and the bright castle behind it. i was able to paint out a bit of it...

12. Tim

one more attempt with a bit more contrast in the statute and some CA cleaned up