SSD

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by haunteddoc, Mar 27, 2011.

1. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Anyone using a solid state drive? ; I just heard about someone who replaced their laptops boot drive with a solid state drive, took out the optical drive and put in a sata drive to store data. ; They say they are getting much faster boot times and the programs load almost instantly. ; Sounded interesting.

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I have one in my desktop. ; They are fast. Windows 7 boots in about 12 seconds.

Posted from my Htc Incredible with Tapatalk ;

3. jeff_chaney

jeff_chaney Member

That person is me ; :D and it is lightning fast. ; I would recommend keeping data on a normal drive, though as SSD has limited read/writes. ; You won't regret going this route. ; I can't see why I waited so long!

4. Thomas1kinley

Thomas1kinley Member

SSD's are persistent data storage device different from HDD's.

5. rcampbell

rcampbell Member

Yes they do boot up pretty fast as compared to regular hard disk drives but if you are not the type who would need to be on the computer in 15 seconds tops, then SSD's might be an overkill for you. They sure present a lot of advantages but I don't think that is enough to get people to make the jump and spend a lot of money when they can achieve the same thing on their current setup.

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

They are awesome in laptops because they are so lightweight and use a lot less power. ; Plus they are FAST. ;

sent from my htc thunderbolt ;

7. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

Best part about SSD is they have no moving parts, in a typical Hard Drive you have the Arm and the Head which move to write the data to the platters.

SSD is more like a USB memory stick, no moving parts which means less of a chance of having a issue with the Drives.