To Upgrade or Change Teams

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Tim, May 4, 2014.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

This is an opinion-type thread...

I have the Sony NEX-6 with the following lenses: 16-50PZ, 18-200 (silver), 10-18, 55-210, 16 f/2.8, 12mm 2.8 converter, 10mm 2.8 converter.

My gear, based on a B&H rough quote is worth $1235.

Do I 1.) upgrade the NEX-6 to the A6000 or 2.) Switch to an OM-D m4/3 system?

Caveats - I am (mostly) pleased with the NEX-6 but there are some things that I am not totally thrilled with - but most of those things are most likely because I use a Canon 1Dx, top of the line pro body so it's not a totally fair comparison. When the NEX-6 hits it, it NAILS it and the image quality is fantastic (I LOVE the in-camera HDR mode and some of the apps you can download).

My only real concern is the lack of Sony lenses as compared to the m4/3 which are much more plentiful and generally a lot less expensive.

Opinions?

2. lightslicer

lightslicer Member

While I have no opinions-

and I am not a lens junkie YET- what is your first instinct and WHY-
    Do you need to change- want to change- or is change a constant in your camera world-and you know your going to anyway- you just need a push....
    You cant compare apples and oranges- they just aint the same fruit....but they both can be real sweet do you want fruit salad- or is your ultimate goal to just carry one fruit.......
    Will the camera you are wanting replace them both- and have all the lenses available you need....if so sell out and go for it- if not----WAIT a while longer- the next bigger thing is around the corner- and will be here sooner than you think...:D.

Ducking and waddleing away....now...

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

All salient points, @lightslicer. I am having the mental debate based on utility. How can I do what I want for the best possible price.

4. ELinder

ELinder Member

Honestly, how often have you not gotten the shot you wanted or needed with the gear in your hand? Would the new system let you get that shot with what's available NOW, not in the future, without introducing a different shot you won't be able to get with the new system? Would the new system cover everything that you can't or don't want to do with the 1Dx?

Erich