tomb of the unknowns, a sacred duty

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by gary, May 30, 2012.

1. gary

gary Member

one of the most prestigious and hardest to get enlisted army postings there is, becoming one of the tomb of the unknowns guards. this never fails to move me, it's just such a solemn sacred duty. i was able to watch both a couple of guard changes and an army wreath laying ceremony this evening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and it's a for real inspection each and every time, the sergeant spent a few moments during the rear inspection adjusting the sentries uniform

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the bugler for taps during the wreath ceremony

[​IMG]

and the placing of the wreath

[​IMG]

and except for during the pacing while on post, the unknowns are never passed without a pause for a hand salute

[​IMG]

2. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Thank you for sharing these photos. ; Very touching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Great set Gary, this is one of those things on my bucket list, need to see that!

4. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I NEVER miss this when I go to Arlington. ; I have a distance family member on the mast of the USS Maine there, so we go whenever we are in the area. ; Now that I am into photography, I enjoy taking this in even more, because there are so many wonderful photograph chances during the changing of the guard, and even throughout the entire area.

Great series Gary! ; John, it's only a few hour drive away, take a long weekend trip down as soon as is possible. ; You won't regret it.

5. Brother Jay

Brother Jay Member

Hats off to those far braver than I, who did what had to be done.

6. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice series, Gary! ; I haven't been there in about 10 years... I really need to go again. ; The last time I was there, some teenagers got a little loud and then got the crap scared out of them when the tomb sentinel stopped mid walk and demanded quiet and respect.

7. gary

gary Member

i too have seen the tomb sentry challenge a disrespectful person, also in midwalk, and the person immediately shut up, you could have heard a pin drop, this was a number of years ago, karen was with me and she was so impressed with the ability of the sentry to demand and get someone to shut up, i pointed out he's dressed in a uniform, carrying a rifle that has a fixed bayonet, it might be a polished rifle, but it's still a rifle with a bayonet, held by someone drilled strongly in it's use.someone deeply committed to the sanctity of this place he guards

8. Brother Jay

Brother Jay Member

Glad to hear that there are places where 'Silence is Golden' is taken seriously and enforced. ; Thanks for the pics, they reminded me of my gramps.

9. ELinder

ELinder Member

That must happen frequently with rude visitors. I recently saw a YouTube video of exactly that. When the man with a bayoneted rifle "suggests" something, people listen.

Erich

10. mSummers

mSummers Member

Actually, I don't think it happens all that often. ; I've been there many times and have only seen it happen once. ;