Viewing RAW in Windows

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by Tim, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Don't know if this will help you folks too much, but here is a link to Microsoft where you can get the codecs needed to view your camera's RAW files in Windows Explorer.

Personally, I prefer faststone.org image viewer (does everything and is FREE) but once in awhile it's quicker to browse with Explorer and find a quick file.

DOWNLOAD PAGE

2. Dan

Dan Member

Okay, complete re-edit of my post.. because although I thought this was going to be useful for me it's looking like it won't be. ; I installed it and can't get thumbnails to render for RAW files from within file explorer. ; Either it's broken or else it was never intended to work from within file explorer.

It may be that this will allow windows live photo gallery to view RAW files, but I'm not sure if that does what I want.

I guess it looks like these codecs are meant to plug into the "windows imaging components", or WIC, but I have no idea what uses that. ; So far it would appear not file explorer.

A comment from a user on the Canon site suggested trying to find a 32bit version of the microsoft photo viewer and that that might work, but that doesn't do what I need and I can't actually find it anyway. ; All I get are a bunch of DLL files, I haven't found an actual executable.

Looks like I'm still using Canon's digital photo professional to quickly view the contents of a memory card to pick out specific images I want to copy over. ; You can click and drag a thumbnail from it to a file explorer window, so I pretty much get the functionality I want.