which sdhc card

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by HW, May 10, 2010.

1. HW

HW Member

what sdhc card is fast enough for the D90 taking into account some hd video on occasion?

2. ELinder

ELinder Member

I've been using some Sandisk Extreme 8GB 30MB/sec cards that I found on sale at Best Buy for $40. I haven't done video, but have done a lot of high speed continuous release, and they work great so far.

Erich

3. HW

HW Member

thanks for the help

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

SD cards measure their speeds in terms of "classes". ; Most of the ones that are on sale in stores like Worst Buy and Staples are Class 4. ; Class 4 *might* work but you would really want a Class 6 or even Class 10 to be sure you don't get any hiccups or buffer fills. ; It happens from time to time on my 5dMk2 with the CF cards that I have.

5. HW

HW Member

just ordered an 8 gig class 10 from amazon Tim

[amazonsearch]Sandisk 8GB Extreme SDHC Card-Class 10[/amazonsearch]

6. Tim

Check you out, big spender! ; :D

7. HW

HW Member

LOL. now need to order some nice weather. starting to feel like upstate NY here

8. Tim

I think "nice weather" is on Aisle 6. ;

9. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

The Ask Adorama podcast just addressed this subject. ; They confirmed what Tim said, a name-brand card with at least a class 6 speed rating.

10. HW

HW Member

thanks ddindy

11. dishippy

dishippy Member

I just got my D90 and I got an 8GB Extreme 3 card. It has the 30mb/s write speed and I've had no problems with it with continuous shooting. Working great so far.

12. HW

HW Member

yea that's what I ordered from Amazon. local prices were too high

13. dishippy

dishippy Member

It seems like the smaller stuff (SD cards, readers, filters, etc) are always cheaper online. Gotta love the interwebs.

14. HW

HW Member

even the big items are cheaper alot of times.I bought a canon pro9000 printer thru amazon for 409. a local store wanted 499 plus tax and then it was only available thu there web site so now we add shipping charges also and we are at about 570