Windows 7

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by haunteddoc, Jan 6, 2010.

1. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Am I reading things correctly? ; If I would upgrade to Windows 7, unless the other computers on my home network are also running Windows 7 they can not connect to the home network. ; I am running XP on one and Vista on the other.
    ??????

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Ouch...hadn't heard that, but it's good to know as I am probably looking to upgrade my main desktop/network server and Windows 7 is the most likely choice. ; My others are both XP.

3. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I don't think that's true. ; I've passed files between my XP Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate editions. ; Except, I think I have to reference the XP machines by IP address

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

news to me. ; i am running windows 7 home 64bit right now... ; my iphone works fine on the network.

5. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Hmm, perhaps it's that pesky permissions issue between XP and Win7.....

6. Tim

btw, windows 7 is just cool and the 64 bit with 8gb of ram with a core 2 quad 2.83 FLIES!

7. Roger

Yeah I noticed that for some apps it does fly; however it seems to hesitate with Microsoft Dynamics at work, and even Outlook wants to take some time to load....

But I guess that's what the 2010 versions of that software are for. ; As soon as Apple releases the drivers for BootCamp I'll probably upgrade my Vista OS to Win7 on my work iMac.

8. Tim

the bigger stuff that i use (photoshop, itunes, etc.) all have their own 64 bit versions which sizzle. ;

9. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

The laptop I got for Christmas has Windows 7 and I have had ; NO trouble with Microsoft Word or Outlook on it. ; I am using a 2007 version of Microsoft - home/student version.

10. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

Windows 7 is definitely a better product than previous versions. We use it at work and have had not problem sharing files between various Windows versions. The only gripe I have is that Microsoft constantly mucks with the GUI, layout, etc of items... i.e. control panel which causes more confusion and frustration.

11. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

But all in all Jason, you would recommend getting ride of vista in favor of 7? ; I have been contemplating this for a while, and am leaning that way, but am still looking for that little push to set me over the edge on the decision.

12. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

I would buy it over Vista. Vista was/is the new Windows ME... if you remember that piece of poo.

Our execs are far happier with Windows 7 on their laptops and netbooks, and the support desk has fewer calls for tech issues. Windows 7 utilizes system resources much more efficiently and older machines can run it fine. Of course, it will take a little time to acclimate to the new look and feel, but well worth it.

But if it was me... I would get a Mac...lol :)

13. Roger

Best of both Worlds :) ; There's a reason I'm running Vista on an iMac for work (5.4 out of 5)....Apple still doesn't have the Win7 drivers though.

14. PolynesianMedic

Yeah I will get a Mac someday, but for now I have a Toshiba Laptop that I would love to get more out of and I think that 7 will help me do that.

15. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

It will do that, only other thing I could recommend is to put as much ram into the laptop as ya can.

16. PolynesianMedic

17. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

That is good to know...it's likely to be the default OS for my next desktop. ; As absolutely crazy as it sounds, and is almost illegal to say...I actually prefer Windows to Mac. ; I'm sure much has to do with familiarity, as I've used Windows for over a decade...but I just find myself happier with Windows machines. ; I actually started on Apple long ago, but switched over when I started using Windows on work computers.

18. WillCAD

WillCAD Member

19. scottoliver

scottoliver Member

Windows 7 has a new feature called Homegroups, which is a simpler way to have Windows 7 computers share files over the network. ; However, Windows 7 can still connect to the workgroups Vista and XP use. ; The workgroup settings are in the same place they've always been: the system properties.

I went through this when I first put 7 on my desktop (my laptop was on XP), but I decided to upgrade the laptop too because I think 7 is much better.

20. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Thanks. ; Will know pretty soon when I upgrade. ; Sounds like everyone is liking Windows 7.