$120,000 gets you 1,200. Got cash?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Tim, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Came across this little beauty while perusing the awesome selection at B&H PHOTO. ; Check it out, then chip in and buy me one for Pixelmania! 2.0. ; It clocks in at a cool 36 pounds and is a bargain at $120,000 (yes, the decimal point and comma are in the correct positions). ; Think TSA would have a field day with this one? ;

Clicking on the video will take you to B&H where you can check out all the good stuff they have.

HTML:

<script type='text/javascript' src='http://flash.qoof.com/widget.js.aspx?v=3.0.1.10'></script>
    <script type='text/javascript'>
    var Qoof_AC = '1824';
    var Qoof_AID = '2466';
    var Qoof_WidgetId = 'af5999b5-f158-4937-b007-3e71654e35ea';
    var Qoof_widgetWidth = '300';
    var Qoof_widgetHeight = '250';
    QoofWriteWidget();</script>

2. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

With that lens, you'd have to be in the parking lot to shoot the animals on the Tree of Life

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Last time they had one available it was $100k.

Anyway, odd thing is that you may be able to take it onboard with you, while for now: ; No computers for you to carryon![nb]On all inbound international flights[/nb] ; No cameras for you![nb]Again, to carryon, international inbound. ; I guess if you have a old MF SLR it'll be okay.[/nb]

Ray, looks like you got lucky getting home a month before the rules changed! ; I'd hate having to check all of my camera and computer gear!

4. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

I think Pelican Cases will love these new rules. Only way I will check in camera or scuba gear is in a pelican case.

5. Roger

I hear you....BTW AA has added a camera policy to their luggage fees. I think it's an extra $50 each way. ; But I don't think they'll actually increase the liability coverage on the luggage.....

6. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

Good thing I do not fly AA, at least not at the moment. If it ever gets that bad, UPS and Fed-Ex will be the best options to ship luggage to your destination.

7. Tim

I will drive before I play THAT game... ; ; I am really tired of the airlines and their deceptive and arbitrary practices [nb]yeah, YOU, spirit[/nb]

from aa's website:
    end thread hijack. ;

8. nah he can just shoot it from Jersey!

9. Stitch

Stitch Member

But what if you are a hobbiest carrying that kind of equipment... do you not that to pay the $50 fee? Or do you all consider yourself professional photographers?

10. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

On one of my flights, I was forced to check my carryon with all my camera gear in it because they decided to let all Chinese citizens to board before the Americans and we lost all the overhead storage.

Nancy had packed my camera so well, it didn't budge at all in transit

11. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Tim, you would be able to shoot the castle lighting show from the train station.

12. Tim

Oh, and it weighs in at a svelte 36 pounds.

13. Roger

FWIW, I think the 1200 suffers from corner issues....there is a reason Canon hasn't "refreshed" it, but rather made the new 800/5.6, which is less than 10% of the cost of the 1200.

14. Tim

:eek: ; if you had that lens you'd be worrying about corner issues? ; seriously? ; ; ;D

15. Roger

Yes.

800 x 1.3 = ????

The 1200 was mainly available to sports photographers, and Canon would loan it on request for major events (Olympics, major football game played in late January[nb]it was still January then[/nb]) before the advent of crop factors....and technology changes messing with lens designs...

16. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

That lens on a 1.6x crop body = photographing a closeup of Tim's face coming down the flume on Splash Mountain from the roof of the BLT.

I was going to go with a joke about telling if it was cold outside without leaving your room...but I decided to keep it more family-friendly.

17. Tim

Point that lens at people and you will get a real "deer in the high beams" look!

18. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Nice video- I wonder if B&H would toss in a free Rebel to hang on the end of it for us Nikon guys...

19. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Seems a bit of a ripoff to pay that much for a lens. ; Why I can go out and pick up a Minolta 600mm F4, throw on a 2x teleconverter, and end up with basically the same range and ability for only $8,000 - I can probably find that in the cushions of my couch. ; And stabilized too! ; And even buy a Porsche Cayenne Turbo sport utility to drive it around in. ; Much better use of my $120,000.

That is if I had $120,000.

Or even $8,000 to drop on a lens! ; My priciest lens is $800...and that seemed like a lot to me!