4 Million Dollar Home versus LowePro 70AW?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by WDWFigment, Sep 16, 2009.

1. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

On our last trip Sarah, my fiancee, used my old North Face hydrapack to carry her gear and 'female stuff'. ; The bag was too big, bulky, and heavy. ; As a result, we decided to look into other bags.

We have it narrowed down between the Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home and the LowePro 70 AW. ; Any thoughts on either one? ; We are specifically concerned with:

1. ; Comfort - she is a smaller female, so a bag with a comfortable strap and good weight distribution is important.

2. ; Waterproof/Water Resistance - obviously not a quesiton for the Lowepro AW; what about the 4MDH? ; She has a partially-working Blackberry thanks to a poorly waterproofed North Face bag used on our last trip.

3. ; Size - it's tough to get an idea of how large the 70 AW is from the pictures. ; It doesn't look too large, but I'm concerned.

Other bags would be considered, but they have to be pretty small, and preferrably shoulder bags. ; Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Cory_Disbrow

Cory_Disbrow Member

Tom, I think you saw the bag that I had when we met up. It's a Lowepro Flipside 300. I can say that it was absolutely perfect for traveling through WDW. Waterproof, held tons of stuff, has a tripod foot, VERY comfortable. Recommended!

3. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Cory, if you think Sarah is going to be able to carry that big-a** bag you had, you're insane! ; (I assume you didn't see the part about it being for Sarah?) ; That bag is bigger than her. ; I don't even carry a bag as large as yours!

Thanks though. ; I may actually look into it as a future bag for myself.

4. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I cannot offer much advice here. ; I went from carrying a big a@@ bag (still not as big as Tim's) to a over the shoulder courier-style bag my wife bought at the store across from Indiana Jones at Disneyland.

The change was immense and I started noticing other people with bigger cameras than mine doing the same thing. ;

Our friend Gary, was always yelling at me about how my backpack was being worn wrong and poorly distributing weight and would re-cinch my straps which would them make it impossible to take off.

I'm with Sarah on not wanting anything too big. ;

Tom, what is she looking to put in this bag? That may allow someone to suggest something different as a bag by knowing what it's purpose is going to be?

5. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

^Nikon D40 + 18-200 VR; small tripod attached to the outside. ; As for the female stuff? ; I dunno, a hair brush, dental floss, hand sanitizer, and a handful of pin trading pins.

6. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I forgot Sarah carries a camera too. ; I, for some reason, was thinking she was just needing to carry themepark supplies (rain coat, snacks, "female stuff", etc)

My wife carries my old D80 in a backpack wrapped in her raincoat. ; She doesn't take a lot of pictures with it knowing that I'm strafing the parks with my D300. ; She only takes it out when she's wanting to get pictures of me doing something stupid

7. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Isn't that what our wives are for Ray? ; Catching me when I am doing something stupid is my wife's favorite past time. ;)

8. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I have an older and MUCH smaller backpack that I used to use back in my
    point and shoot days that I might need to bust out for park purposes now that we have 2 kids. ; I also have the canon deluxe ; gadget bag (the expensive one) that i might start using too. ; Decisons decisions...

9. Cory_Disbrow

Cory_Disbrow Member

Tom, the Lowepro Flipside really is no larger than your average school backpack. It's only 10.2 x 6.9 x 17.5".