Brazilian Adriano Bastos wins Disney Marathon while wearing Goofy hat

Discussion in 'Disney News, Rumors and Current Events' started by Sheila Gallant-Halloran, Jan 13, 2009.

1. http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadi ... EodvXXwqCg

ORLANDO, Fla. — Adriano Bastos of Brazil won the Walt Disney World Marathon on Saturday for the fifth straight year and sixth time in the last seven years.

Bastos finished in two hours 20 minutes 38 seconds, waving flags from Brazil and the United States. He has a tattoo of Mickey Mouse on the back of each leg and ran the race wearing a Goofy hat.

Lisa Mizutani of Japan won the women's race in 2:46:27.

"This is always a thrill for me," Bastos said. "I don't know anyone who has won the same marathon so many times in a row. My goal is to win it 10 times. That would be a nice number."

More than 21,000 runners competed in the race, which doesn't attract elite marathoners because it doesn't offer prize money.

Bastos, a personal trainer, finished 20 seconds faster than last year, beating Aaron Church of the United States by seven minutes.

Since the race was first held in 1995, a Brazilian has won either the men's or the women's division 10 times.

Mizutani is a 23-year-old medical student in Japan whose father lives in California. This was her second marathon victory, but her first appearance at Disney. She finished almost seven minutes ahead of defending champion Melanie Peters of the United States.

"I came to Disney for the experience, for a fun marathon, but I didn't really have any expectations," Mizutani said. "It turned out better than I thought."